MCQ Bushcraft Field Master (contains Phesent butchery pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
Like many on here i appreciate Mike and his youtube videos and have tested out some of his suggestions and kit recommendations, and have adopted most of them to fit my own methods and kit.

When however he designed a knife that was at odds with the standard bushie with its scandi grind i admit i was curious. as a kid i grew up using various Opinels and do like the flat grind for its versatility, but have adopted Mr Mears suggestions of the scandi for use of wood work and carving.

Anyway it was recently it was my birthday and decided to spash out on a new knife and decided that if i could get my hands on one of mikes then i would go for it. after sitting waiting for them to go online and doing my best ebay style sniping I was richer by one knife and poorer by a few hundred pounds...
I have read on here that a lot of people feel that it is over priced and a good knife shouldn't cost that much. However i justified it in my own eyes that i have never bought a knife over about £20 before and most of my others are home made, and another other being a gift. I also liked the idea of the steel (RWL34) and couldn't find much else on the market that I liked.

1 week later and it arrived, in a very nice wooden box with some hay as packaging and a letter from Mike and a Thank you from Lee the maker. All very impressive.

The first impressions were the size, its a chunk of a knife! Im nearly 7’ tall with hands to match and it filled my paws admirably. It would however be too big for a lady, I’ve yet to let my girlfriend try it but I know it will be too big. It is much bigger than my F1, and bigger than my own first go at making a Woodlore clone.
In my mind it could benefit from a palm swell to fit the contours of the hand better, but there is no doubt that the handle is rounded and comfortable and has its own elegance to it.

30884504680_b7f7e372a2.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Chavassasin, on Flickr[/IMG]
30884504800_478a099672.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Chavassasin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Testing:
ive only had it a few weeks so far and haven't had the time to give it a full test, however i thought id show some pictures of what I have done so far:

Battening pine:
The fieldmaster by ChavassasiThe fieldmaster by Chavassasin, on Flickr[/IMG]n[/url], on Flickr
30884093590_31d76b4310.jpg
[/url]The fieldmaster by Chavassasin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Feather sticks (with feather fine enough to light direct with firesteel):
31215604406_f24261243e.jpg

Butchering a road Kill pheasant:
31107771852_08beddda97.jpg

All in all ive been very impressed with it. It has passed my meager tests with flying colors, and can see myself using it more and more.

I even decided to make a burl handle for a ferro rod friend for it:
31215678116_1946881b48_c.jpg

i shall continue to use and test it, and let you know what i think

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I've only just got into watching Mike's video's - they are great. The knife looks great too. I have been trying to get the time to give some full flat knives a go over a scandi.

Cheers for sharing, its great to see how it looks beside some other well known examples.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Good review, thank you for taking the time to post it!
I really enjoy using mine. I don't really think its that expensive though when you look at the steel you get and Lee's craftsmanship!..... But that is the same pitch I used on the other half! :rolleyes:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've been mulling over trying out a knife with a full flat grind myself and this knife is one that I've been considering. I've only used the ubiquitous scandi style knives up till now. That is a very handsome knife to my eye, nice photos by the way. I would appreciate an update when you can as to how you are getting on with it.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Any further thoughts about your Field Master? I have been wanting to get hold of one of these for a little while now but neither Lee nor Mike have been forthcoming about when one might be ready. In the meantime, I'd love to hear more about how you're getting on with yours.

Best wishes,
Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE