Luxe Sil-Hexpeak- First pitch (Successfully!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
This is a very basic and brief review for the reasons your will see. Firstly let me say that I pitched the HP as it came out of the box. I was estimating the wind speed to be between 30-40 mph and the local weather station confirms that the winds speed in the town was 35mph and I was near to the top of the South Downs so maybe add 5-10mph more. Luckily it stopped raining 2 hours beforehand.
I’ve had a Mini Peak for some time now and that together with my Zephyros 2 are my go to tents. I love the space in my MP and it has always performed well. Whether it’s braved 40 mph winds (with me) I can’t say as I had always taken the Zephy if the weather looks windy.

Anyway back to the HP. First thing that I noticed was just how noisy it was. This is the first time I’ve had sil nylon and it took me by surprise, this isn’t a complaint it just surprised me. The next thing I noticed was that the pegging points are nowhere near evenly spaced which for a hex design threw me a little. Anyhow, I pegged out and put up my walking pole and noticed that the tent was now moving side to side with the wind. I tightened up the points one by one and when I returned to the first point it was loose again!

IMG_20140208_094640.jpg

You’ll see from the pegging diagram that the pegging points are controlled by a friction fit plastic buckle. Initially I thought they may be a variation on a clam cleat but they aren’t. I am guessing that in still weather with NO wind they may do the job, however in wind they were hopeless and I had to resort tying them off to prevent them loosening which wasn’t particularly easy in 40mph winds! Make sure you use them the correct way, as one way offers no resistance at all.

IMG_20140208_104841.jpg

When I was satisfied with the pegging, it was obvious that the HP needs to be used with additional guy lines, the tying points for which are already attached but no guys or additional pegs are provided. In consequence, out of the bag it did not cope well with the wind and bowed inwards badly. I tried differing pitch heights with no change. Obviously with 6 more pegs and guy rope the weight will increase exponentially.

IMG_20140208_095105.jpg

What would help is to pitch the side with 3 pegging points into the wind but this then means you are pitching the tent “diagonally”. This seems a strange requirement for a Hex tent. What it actually needs is intermediate pegging points between the “long” sides, but the guying points will still need to be used as well. The pyramid MP actually has more pegging points than the HP! Something's not right there.

IMG_20140208_095137.jpgIMG_20140208_095112.jpg

I went to attach the inner but upon entering the flysheet it was clear that it was going to be a waste of time. The sides were bowing so badly that the inner would have been touching the fly. It was then that I noticed that the inner also requires pegs to secure it instead of attaching to the fly like the MP, even though attachment points are already affixed on the fly (small plastic circles that the MP fixes to by elasticated toggles). However, the HP inner guying points are the same set up as the flysheet. It may be possible to attach toggles but I didn’t investigate further. No pegs are provided for the inner meaning that at least another 5 pegs/pins/stakes are required.

IMG_20140208_095129.jpg

In summary, I was attempting to pitch the HP in moderately poor but dry weather. I was unprepared as was the HP as I need more guylines and at least another 11 pegs from the 8 already provided! I haven’t given up just yet and need to prepare both the HP and myself better next time, but my MP was never this much drama to pitch! What I need to do is pitch it in still weather and see what I can do to improve it, but with Luxe’s prices moving ever upwards is this really something that we should be doing?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I would try again and make sure to get the pegs spaced out as best you can. Also the extra guy points should help with the bowing. Because of the shape/design some bowing is unavoidable in high winds. Also check that you're walking pole is long enough.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
ADz, I'm a long time Mini Peak user bud. I use a 17cm extender with my 130cm pole, to achieve a decent height whilst not overstraining the pole at full extension. My point about the pegs is that the pegging points are NOT evenly spaced as you can see in the photos, but yes I will try again in good weather. My issue so far is that I don't want a fair weather shelter!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
ADz, I'm a long time Mini Peak user bud. I use a 17cm extender with my 130cm pole, to achieve a decent height whilst not overstraining the pole at full extension. My point about the pegs is that the pegging points are NOT evenly spaced as you can see in the photos, but yes I will try again in good weather. My issue so far is that I don't want a fair weather shelter!

Ah I see. Sorry, cant have read properley. I think I'll hold off on the Hex until more reviews about the peg points come in then.

Thnx for review bud, Hope it goes ok for you next time you try it out.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Interesting widu13. I've got some dyneema and line locks coming to make storm guys for the Hexpeak and should have some left over which I can use on the pegging points to prevent the slippage you mention. Not exactly a glowing review though and a bit worrying. I'd noticed the inner needs pegging as it comes and was wondering whether to try and adapt it to clip onto something. Did you use the two webbing straps that come with the tent to ease pitching or did you just work it out yourself (I'm guessing the latter as I don't see how you could adjust the height with the webbing attached)?

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Just a thought (and you probably know this) but those pegging point adjusters only lock one way so if you mistakenly use the tail end to peg out they would definitely slip (I discovered this last night stretching my Hexpeak out to seam seal it). They seemed to hold quite well on mine if I got them the right way round (but then I wasn't out in 40+mph winds).
PS Doh, just re read your post and of course you knew they only lock one way! :eek:

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Interesting widu13. I've got some dyneema and line locks coming to make storm guys for the Hexpeak and should have some left over which I can use on the pegging points to prevent the slippage you mention. Not exactly a glowing review though and a bit worrying. I'd noticed the inner needs pegging as it comes and was wondering whether to try and adapt it to clip onto something. Did you use the two webbing straps that come with the tent to ease pitching or did you just work it out yourself (I'm guessing the latter as I don't see how you could adjust the height with the webbing attached)?

I'm a die hard Mini Peak fan and had high hopes for the HP, but as I've said some fine tuning may change my mind. I also noted in my review about the one way adjusters. I mentioned it to prevent anyone wondering what the hell was going on. :lmao: As to the webbing straps, no I didn't use them and as you rightly point out you can't lower the height without removing them. Have a dig through my review and you see that I think you could adapt the inner tie outs to fix onto points already sewn onto the outer. Perhaps by removing the line and replacing with elastic cord and some small hooks. It would be a very easy job.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
I did read your review honest! :eek: I quite enjoy tinkering with my kit so I won't be too upset if I have to modify the HP to get the most out of it (although I accept that some will think this shouldn't be necessary). It's great to have other people's experience to tap into as well as my own so places like this are invaluable, I'll be really interested to see how you get on with your HP and whether you can get it to a standard where you feel it lives up to your expectations as an existing MP owner. I have to admit that my heart fell when I saw the first photo you posted above though! :eek:

Last edited:

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
That tent doesn't look too happy, seeing as that costs more than my silnylon Robens Mythos Solo, which is superb, I would expect a lot more from it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm surprised to hear the Line Locs slipped, they stick like glue on my Trailstar

I hope you have more success next time out, 'mids can be temperamental to pitch but once you've sussed it they can be relied on.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I'm surprised to hear the Line Locs slipped, they stick like glue on my Trailstar

I hope you have more success next time out, 'mids can be temperamental to pitch but once you've sussed it they can be relied on.

Line Locs- cheers Rich I couldn't remember what they were called! I've just looked at them on Youtube and something didn't quite ring true so having just looked at the HP all but two were threaded incorrectly! I've re-threaded from the back and down the front and they seem to hold fine...in the lounge! I don't know why I didn't think to check the threading whilst I was out :soapbox:

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Line Locs- cheers Rich I couldn't remember what they were called! I've just looked at them on Youtube and something didn't quite ring true so having just looked at the HP all but two were threaded incorrectly! I've re-threaded from the back and down the front and they seem to hold fine...in the lounge! I don't know why I didn't think to check the threading whilst I was out :soapbox:

Lol, it shows you on that label too

You'll be a lot more impressed with the shelter I think, you can get some serious tension with the line Line Locs if the cord is nice and grippy. The sil will stretch and pull the whole thing taught, no more pole wobble and there should be very little flapping with it being a hex.

Looking for ward to part II of the review ;)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds

My Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter uses the same sort of Line-Locs and I've had trouble with the guys slipping in strong winds. They seem to be excessively sensitive to the diameter and material of the guys (and I'm 100% sure that mine were correctly threaded :D). Last week I changed to a thicker cord from Alpkit, not as fancy as the reflective stuff but fingers are duly crossed that it will hold better. Worth checking that the supplied guys are chunky enough.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You can see the cat curves in the sil on my Trailstar after cranking on the LLs, it was really blowy that day so it was nailed to the ground, no slip at all and you can even adjust them from inside your shelter

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter uses the same sort of Line-Locs and I've had trouble with the guys slipping in strong winds. They seem to be excessively sensitive to the diameter and material of the guys (and I'm 100% sure that mine were correctly threaded :D). Last week I changed to a thicker cord from Alpkit, not as fancy as the reflective stuff but fingers are duly crossed that it will hold better. Worth checking that the supplied guys are chunky enough.

I've found the braided cords work well, they have a bit of bite in the sheath. I've got GloLine on my Trailstar which works really well in my LLs, I think it's around 2.5mm.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I've got GloLine on my Trailstar which works really well in my LLs, I think it's around 2.5mm.

Is that the Lawson's stuff? Interesting... that's what has been slipping on mine. Only in very high winds, mind you, but I'm trying a 3mm line now. Hopefully the guys supplied with the Hexpeak are an appropriate type :)

A nice and very clear review of the tent. It's always helpful to see something tried out in the sort of conditions it will certainly face at one time or another, rather than "unboxing" types or a quick pitch in the garden.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is that the Lawson's stuff? Interesting... that's what has been slipping on mine. Only in very high winds, mind you, but I'm trying a 3mm line now. Hopefully the guys supplied with the Hexpeak are an appropriate type :)

A nice and very clear review of the tent. It's always helpful to see something tried out in the sort of conditions it will certainly face at one time or another, rather than "unboxing" types or a quick pitch in the garden.

I'm not too sure who makes the GloLine, I got it in a mini group buy on hammockforums a few years ago, I've got the spool somewhere so I'll have a look.

Last edited:

Podcast Bob

Interesting review and pitching it for the first time in this location makes you a braver (and rasher) man than me. I chose to try it first in the back garden for the initial checks and to confirm where everything goes, and to experiment with variations and to get it to pitch taught.

So; firstly the 4 rings you refer to and NOT for the inner to link to (like the MP), they are for the 2 (provided) webbing straps to slip into and allow those 4 points to be pegged quickly first, very much like the Mega Horn. This gives you a stable rectangle before pegging out the other 2 points.

As you rightly say it isn't a regular Hexagonal shape, therefore this need to be kept in mind.

Once the 4 points are pegged in the pole height will give the outer skin a better shape and then the last 2 peg points (the 2 half way along 2 of the side panels) can be pegged out.

The inner then clips into the hook hanging for the centre 'cone', then the left and right front inner pegging cords (the slack) are 'looped' over the two pegs mentioned above. Please note the end 'loop' which is tied at the end of the adjuster cord is for 'pulling' the inner taught, not for hooking over the peg.

The next 3 similar inner cords and adjusters are then 'looped' over the 3 remaining pegs at the back of the HP.

Then pull each of the 5 'looped' ends of the cords and the 'upstands' of the inner will erect into place and the inner with be taught.

I can't see how you had these slip? I've tried mine again before writing this, and they are rock solid just like a LineLok.

Yes the webbing straps need to be unclipped from one side when raising or lowering the HP, but they are there to make the exercise you did, much easier.

They also are a very quick way to get the base shape of the shelter sorted in windy conditions and speed up the process. Certainly no one at all has ever complained about the same system on the Mega Horn.

From what I've read above that should iron out the wrinkles for next time.

Cheers

Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE