Light tent that is tall enough to stand / crouch in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
Bit of a Goldilocks type question here, I think.

A while ago, the new lass and I started camping together. We've been through a few options but I think we need something different.

Initially, I picked up a Wild Country Hoolie 3 ETC. This seemed like a solid tent, with plenty of space and a porch big enough to cook in, that you could just about it in a low chair in. My missus requested that we switch to something tall enough to stand up in.

Trying something a little larger, I picked up a cheap tent from Blacks. 5 man, with plenty of head space. We really liked the space that this gave us, but it was massively heavy, and was so big that we couldn't really dry it out anywhere - which was the main issue.

Most recently, a few months back, we picked up a Wild Country Zephyros 3 Living. On paper this seemed perfect: lightish (4.2 kg), 6 foot odd head clearance, and a reasonable space for two people plus gear. Unpacking the tent and starting to pitch it, it seemed like a perfect choice.

However, upon trying to pitch it, for the first time,one of the points that retains the pole tore off, leaving a hole in the ground sheet. I assume this is a warranty issue so have contacted Wild Country. However, I found the zipper pulls on the tent so flimsy that they bent significantly when opening / closing the door ... This seemed a bit of a shame as I had no similar issues with the WC Hoolie 3 ETC I owned previously and that seemed a great tent.

I'm still waiting to hear from Terra Nova but in the meantime ...

Can anyone recommend a tent with decent headroom, that's ideally under 4 meters (though there's some wiggle room here) and reasonably light?

Thanks!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Very interesting, thanks. Any idea how these work to keep bugs out without a sewn in ground sheet?

It's never really bothered me, depending on what you want to spend there are other Lavvu in the range with inners, I had the Helsport Varanger 4 - 6 with everything, wish I hadn't sold it now :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE