Leaves as a tinder bundle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Recently I was camping in a beech woods, there was an over abundance of dead, dried beech leaves and not much else to use as tinder. I used my small Lixada stove to house some of the "fluffed up" leaves and lit them using the ember on my char cloth. As the leaves burn so quickly I needed to add more leaves in order to get the small twigs lit, but it was pretty easy to get it going.

I can't really imagine how I'd have done this without the stove to contain it, perhaps if I'd used stones to keep the leaves in one place. Does anyone know if there's a technique for creating a sturdy birdnest using only leaves, or a technique I've not thought of?

Note: I'm aware you can shower sparks directly onto leaves to get a fire, however, I don't tend to use a ferro rod (unless needed)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Place the dry leaves between some bark and blow through.

I used this technique in this video. works nicely.

[video=youtube_share;XTd_gEEfCGI]https://youtu.be/XTd_gEEfCGI?t=5m22s[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you know how to make leaf roses ? those work, or you can make a layers 'cup' of the largest leaves (like a waterlily) using their stems to gather them. Just tie it together with a scrap of cordage from something or other….grass, wet leaves, bit of root, plant stem, bark, anything will do, and it only takes moments to make. That give you something to pack the loose leaves into and get the twigs going.

M

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Thanks for the input everyone.

There was no birch bark near (although I could have found some if I'd wandered further). I'm not sure how leaf roses could be made if they are dead and crispy leaves, but I'll do some more research on that. Some good ideas to play with if I'm in that situation again :)

Another idea I thought of, similar to using rocks, would be to build a mini 3 sided log cabin (or two sides at an obtuse angle) out of twigs then stuff that with the leaves.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be honest, dried leaves or pine straw are the only tender I've used at least 98% of the times I've built a fire outdoors. Sixty years now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Natural tinder here is usually sodden wet, so folks gather wee bits of dry stuff as they wander….some folks pockets are goldmines :D

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Natural tinder here is usually sodden wet, so folks gather wee bits of dry stuff as they wander….some folks pockets are goldmines :D

M

That's the key; finding something dry :( Unless you have litard (fatwood to y'all)

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
That's the key; finding something dry :( Unless you have litard (fatwood to y'all)

I usually have something on me, fatwood, some birch bark etc. although I prefer to use materials around me if i have time. I usually pick things up, I'd forgotten my dump pouch and filled my pockets with edibles :D

That said, I prefer not to make things too easy, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking about things like this, the learning and practicing is what makes bushcraft enjoyable :)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Did this video this morning for you to see how I do it.

[video=youtube_share;1MKskyerFpQ]https://youtu.be/1MKskyerFpQ[/video]

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Clean and swift = great illustration of the technique.
You have no idea, after our long, hard and snowy winter,
just how much I want to smell the smoke from that fire.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Even if the leaves are damp (not sodden) you can make it work. Do it on the floor as you get less burn holes in your clothes and beard.

Get enough material (a couple of hat fulls), Build a little frame to keep it together and off the ground with a few sticks. Rub up your tinder/ leaves and stack into the frame - coarsest material first and then finer and finer. The last dust - add into the centre of the nest. Then put a lid on - leaf/ bark etc. Add your ember to the dust and blow, gently at first. The damper the material the slower you need to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE