Leather Sheath question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

dboles

I have a leather sheath that is loose and could easily lose the knife.I think it is made of half tan.I was reading a tutorial on how to make a leather sheath.Wet fitting.Now the question If I was to wrap the knife and soak the sheath could I manipulate the leather enough to tighten up the sheath so that the fit is tighter when dried,without having to mess with the stitching
Thanks
Dan'l.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Should work OK.

I used to do the same thing with pistol holsters a few years back.

Just make sure the sheath is seriously dry before you use it again. I once used a hair dryer to melt some mink oil into a sheath to weather proof it. it set like rock but i put the knife back in for a day before it was dry and it patina'ed the blade quite badly.

It took about 2 weeks to dry fully.

Jhenry

Feb 2, 2009
Ozarks
I haven't been here for quite some time, forgot how much I enjoyed the site. In any case, I would try as you suggest prior to making a new sheath. A few suggestions. Fill the sink with hot water, but not so hot you can't hold your hand in it. Put in just a couple of drops of common dishwashing liquid. This will reduce the surface tension of the water and allow it to penetrate the leather more effectively, as well as letting the fibers move around a little better. Give it a good soak, dry it off a bit on a towel and then put it in a plastic bag and into the refrigerator overnight. The next day, wet fit the sheath. I generally use tools as well as my fingers. I have some antler tines I have shaped for the purpose, and also use smooth handles of various woodworking tools. You can really apply consistant peressure that way, get in close, and smooth things out for a better look. Best of luck.

leon-1

I have a leather sheath that is loose and could easily lose the knife.I think it is made of half tan.I was reading a tutorial on how to make a leather sheath.Wet fitting.Now the question If I was to wrap the knife and soak the sheath could I manipulate the leather enough to tighten up the sheath so that the fit is tighter when dried,without having to mess with the stitching
Thanks
Dan'l.

Yes re-wetfroming the sheath will work.

Or soak it, wrap the knife and leave the whole thing on a radiator overnight, the leather will shrink and harden (do be aware of this) as it dries.

The above is a drastic measure that does work, but you'll need a lanyard of some form to draw the knife out dependent on how quickly you have dried the sheath.

You'll also need the likes of Mink oil, mink paste or saddle soap to get flexibility back in the leather afterwards

D

dboles

Thanks for the replies.I will give it a try and let all know how it turns out
Dan'l

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE