Leather: Burning Glass Slip Case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

Been wanting to get into some leatherwork for ages, and recently did a belt making course at Half Goat Leatherwork of this 'ere parish. (Thoroughly recommended for those that are swithering - the guidance and hands-on has been the catalyst that finally got me started.) Anyway, here's a slip case for a burning glass, made from 2mm veg tan cow...

Buring Glass Slip Case 01s.jpg

It was moistened with the lens inside to mould it a bit to help prevent the lens from sliding out.

Out of the case...

Buring Glass Slip Case 02s.jpg

The lens is 2" in diameter. I pinch the sides of the case in a little to help reduce abrasion of the glass surface.

A closer look at the thong...

Buring Glass Slip Case 03s.jpg

About 3mm wide, cut from the same 2mm veg tan. It's whipped near the lens with some linen thread, and the knot at the other end helps with keeping a hold of the lens (pushes against the side of the pinkie, with forefinger and thumb at the lug on the lens).

N

Nomad

Got the magnifying glass on eBay, seller distinct_deals. Current listing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Pock...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Dead cheap and free postage. Even buy two and get a third free. Delivery time was good - seems to have a UK representative.

The original cover wasn't up to much. The rivet was easy enough to remove (careful butchery with pliers). I was going cut off the plastic surround bit, but it's decently strong, so I left it on.

I don't think it's 10x magnification - more like 3x or 4x. I confess that I haven't tried it in actual sunlight yet.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I picked one of these lenses up yesterday for £1.99 and agree the case isn't up to much but the lens is quite good. Had my two boys trying to char some punk wood with sunlight and quite easily got it to ember.

Love the case and think it something that I will do with mine too.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

N

Nomad

... Had my two boys trying to char some punk wood with sunlight and quite easily got it to ember.

Love the case and think it something that I will do with mine too.

Don't forget to post the results if you make one.

Just had a random bit of sunshine, and managed to burn through a Screfix receipt, so I'm glad it actually works. :)

N

Nomad

tidy work mate

It could be better (I suppose they can always be better). I found the round corners quite tricky, probably because I was cutting round something with some height to it (steel measuring cup upside down). I think the height was getting in the way of the knife handle. I've since got one of those things that are several rings of stainless steel in one piece, and used it on the flint & steel pouch, and that seemed to work much better - easier to do a neat cut and to keep the blade vertical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE