Lamb roast BushMoot 2018

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Kim and I where talking and have come up with an Idea for 2018 summer Moot. Spit roasting a whole lamb. Thinking of banding together with 8 maybe 13 others and buying a whole lamb, set up 2 wooden tripods and a cross bar, fire pit and off we go. i.e a group of 10 -15

I do not have all the numbers, skills or idea fully mapped out yet…..BUT

Is there any others that think this is an idea which will run. Not looking to sell tickets but rather a gang which work together and then eat well. If it does take off then maybe they would be 3, 4 or 5 pits each with its own “clan”. We could gang up to get a good price but I am thinking along the lines each person being able to say “Me and my gang roasted a lamb” rather then I sat and attended.

Very much pie in the sky at the moment…. Any interest?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Sounds like an interesting idea
I'm sure it's doable. the main problem might be fire wood?
To help use the fire more effectively you could make a reflector oven to go round the lamb too
would be great to see

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Do we have our 3rd gang member or just a commentator. By the way ALL ideas are very welcome, even warnings can be helpful.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
We have had a whole sheep in past for a hangi. Took lots of wood to cook.

I like the idea of doing a lamb with a spit.

Although I’d probably split the sheep butterfly it on a rack next to the fire

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
All ideas welcome. Wondering if a "clan" would be 10, 15, 20 strong. Could one person eat 10% of a lamb? How much is 5% . Lets keep the thoughts flowing

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I was involved with a group that did a 1/2 pig. IIRC there were 8 adults and maybe 6 kids. The 1/2 pig did a meal along with bake potatoes, garlic bread, veggies. Then the leftover / less choice bits were boiled into a soup the next day with a load of other veggies.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Yeah, things like what to do with the "left overs" will need to be covered. Early days yet but I wanted to see if this was in any way a runner. Would be way too much work to say wait until we are all at the moot before anything is planned. Plus it gives time for folk to chip in with ideas. I do not have a source lined up, firm plans or anything, just the gem of an idea which I do think can be turned into a great day.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
We used to do the whole lamb bbq (braai) in South Africa, as said, a reflector of sorts will help, maybe a cheap flame retardant space blank or a roll of kitchen foil, we used charcoal, long and slow cooking though, around 12 - 16 hours basting and injecting it with red wine mixed with coca cola, don't ask :D

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Did them in Chile - known as an asado.

Happy to become part of the group.

6e_zpsyvzvc1jd.jpg

Reactions: bopdude

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I have a large steel pole specifically made for large roasts - can take a full size hog on it BUT may not make it this year due to my house being renovated. What night would you be looking to do it?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As for the pole.... what day can you bring it ??
I also remember seeing said sign. Glad to see there is still interest. As time gets closer I will be more proactive. I really think this is not only a "runner" but could become a "thing".

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I'd be interested depending on cost...

just a thought but what about cooking it underground on stones and covered... don't know what the earth is like there or if suitable stones are available... just a suggestion anyhoo, but I'm initially interested in this...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
In truth I am interested in all ideas and at the time of writing, nothing is set in stone. As for cost, I just do not know. I am thinking of ten people at ten pounds ( 80 for lamb 20 for wood/veg ) but that is really just as much "nice" numbers as accurate numbers. How many does it take to eat a whole lamb?

1) Price of the lamb
I do not see us been able to get a fixed quote at a good rate this far in advance.

2) Side dishes
Do we get a great big salad to go with it?
Do we just have spuds and root veg cooked along with the meat.
Do we just provide the meat and let folk sort there own side dishes.

3) Mode of cooking
Underground / Overground
Roasted around a turning pole
Split open and cooked along side a fire.

4) Dividing the spoils
Just how do you share out a whole animal
What happens to the carcass
What bits go in the soup and who's going to make it

5) Group Event
As well as eating the meat I also am thinking of it being an EVENT
What skills can I bring, what things can I learn
Not ten tickets but ten players

I will wholly concede I have very few of the answers but I still feel that "WE" can pull this off

( or is it a pipe dream)

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
In truth I am interested in all ideas and at the time of writing, nothing is set in stone. As for cost, I just do not know. I am thinking of ten people at ten pounds ( 80 for lamb 20 for wood/veg ) but that is really just as much "nice" numbers as accurate numbers. How many does it take to eat a whole lamb?

1) Price of the lamb
I do not see us been able to get a fixed quote at a good rate this far in advance.

2) Side dishes

3) Mode of cooking
Underground / Overground

4) Dividing the spoils

5) Group Event

I will wholly concede I have very few of the answers but I still feel that "WE" can pull this off

( or is it a pipe dream)

count me as one of the 10 then...

1) Price of the lamb

2) Side dishes

3) Mode of cooking
Underground / Overground

4) Dividing the spoils

5) Group Event

( or is it a pipe dream)

Maybe we could go ahead if we get a minimum of 10 then?

Does anyone know if the less fatty parts of lamb can be dried like beef, as in beef jerky?

I do have cooking skills for making the stock from bones but would not be able to provide the huge pot needed for such a task.

I feel I'd be learning more than teaching... just sayin' ;)

I suggest we keep it simple and let others sort their own accompaniments to the meat. I'm think for hygiene, practicality and learning purposes, maybe we could, as a group, have a wander, while the lamb is roasting (or however we decide to cook it) and each of us forage for our own veg to compliment the lamb, but do that together? We probably all know a little about foraging, so an oppotunity to learn from each other there too?

Might be a good idea to think about when we do it, given that there are going to be things we will not want to miss, going on elsewhere...

Just a few thoughts, and as you say, nothing set in stone...

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Yeah, things like what to do with the "left overs" will need to be covered. Early days yet but I wanted to see if this was in any way a runner. Would be way too much work to say wait until we are all at the moot before anything is planned. Plus it gives time for folk to chip in with ideas. I do not have a source lined up, firm plans or anything, just the gem of an idea which I do think can be turned into a great day.

Can Lamb be made into jerky, like beef/deer etc? If we dont get a lot of people, we could make jerky... just a suggestion... ooops... repeating myself... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE