Kylie stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Having some free time on my hands I thought I would give a Kylie ago. Used for kangaroo and emus. Like a boomerang but it flies straight.

soldierpmr-albums-trout-picture20497-a.jpeg

soldierpmr-albums-trout-picture20496-a.jpeg

I think its Elm being new to the area is exposing me to new woods I've never worked with. If some one could correct me if I'm wrong though.

soldierpmr-albums-trout-picture20498-a.jpeg

Needs a little more sanding and a few throws to tune it.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
nice, ive made throwing sticks before, great fun to use for those tin can hunts.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looking good, never heard of a kylie stick though..... which came first the stick or the pocket poppet? :naughty:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Saw the first pic, then was happy to see the second. Looks good! Whereabouts are you? Elm fits the first pic with the fibres showing, the bark pic looks like Hornbeam.

Both are strong very hardwoods so no matter.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I'm just up the valley from Swansea. I don't think the wood was hard enough and twisted enough for hornbeam. I was surprised at how much the colouration looked like birch in the fibers.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Leaves and flowers, in particular, for correct identification. Microscopic wood anatomy is like a fingerprint, assuming you have reference labelled microscope slides.

Here in British Columbia, there are boomerang hunters (aluminum) who go after Canada geese in lakeshore "no shooting" zones.
"Here, goosey, goosey!" Very effective neck breakers.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Reminds me of those lead topped throwing sticks used years ago to nail small game like squirrel and pigeon.

And I think they are legal to use, I made a thread years ago asking after watching a documentary that had them. They were straight, forearm length and crudely made. Looked like lead was simply melted and the stick dipped like a match.

Can you keep us updated when you get some more practice, distance , stopping power etc?? Curious yet again to the effectiveness of a stick to take small critters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE