Kirtley or O'Leary?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joycey

Sep 26, 2016
SE London
Hi Guys, I would really like to do a week long bushcraft course and think I've narrowed it down to Frontier Bushcraft's Elementary or Wilderness Survival Skills' Wilderness Awakening. I tried to start a thread in the 'courses' forum, but haven't been able to post for some reason? Has anyone on here done either (or both) of the courses? If so, I'd love to get your feedback on your experiences with either school please.

Many thanks

Russ

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know Paul Kirtley and been on several courses run by him and his teaching skills are top notch. You won't regret any course you take with Frontier Bushcraft.

I've heard good reports regarding Joe O'Leary's courses but I've no personal experience to advise you.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've read joe o'learys book so id say go with Kirtley.

Ooooooh - I felt the claw marks from here.

I have Joes book , I've done a few courses with him but i'm interested in what you didn't like about the book?

Genuine question. I would class Joe as an Instructor so I'm sure he would be interested in some feedback if he reads this also.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Have a look at some of Paul Kirtley's blogs and you'll have the measure of the man; if, after that, you choose somebody else I wish you well but in my view you'd be mistaken.

Ooooooh - I felt the claw marks from here.

I have Joes book , I've done a few courses with him but i'm interested in what you didn't like about the book?

Genuine question. I would class Joe as an Instructor so I'm sure he would be interested in some feedback if he reads this also.

I didn't mean that comment to sound catty and rereading it I can see how it could be seen as such. All i meant was ive read his book and it was very basic and unoriginal, there was nothing in it that I haven't seen or read many times before. Paul on the other hand seems quite open in his approach and more thought provoking when it comes to his videos and articles often giving new ideas or alternative approaches to old ideas and skills that are often missed or not thought off...no disrespect to Joe.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I didn't mean that comment to sound catty and rereading it I can see how it could be seen as such. All i meant was ive read his book and it was very basic and unoriginal, there was nothing in it that I haven't seen or read many times before. Paul on the other hand seems quite open in his approach and more thought provoking when it comes to his videos and articles often giving new ideas or alternative approaches to old ideas and skills that are often missed or not thought off...no disrespect to Joe.

That's very well put, and reflects exactly my opinion of P.K.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
o'learys book covers the basics well if your starting out. I'd be keen on seeing what Kirtley would fill pages with, I like his blog well enough

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I did a weekends course with Joe O'Leary last October and thoroughly enjoyed it. Location was set up well.

I think Man of Tannith has done all of Joes courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
End of the day I don't think you're going a definitive answer that one is better than the other as they're both very well respected instructors.

Whoever you choose I doubt you'll be disappointed and have a great experience.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'd happily do a course with Paul and compare the two for you!

Paul had places come available yesterday for this weekend on Facebook. Worth keeping up with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks Mesquite - have done courses with either?

I've known Paul since he was with Woodlore and did several courses with him as head instructor on them.

When he left them and started up Frontier Bushcraft I organised a couple bespoke courses with him for some of the guys on the forum.

Everyone on the courses were really impressed with him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE