Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This has been talked about a little on the Sub Zero Crew thread but I think it's time to start checking out the interest.

We're organising a meet up in the Swedish town of Jokkmokk just North of the Arctic Circle. it will coincide with the famous Winter market where the Saami congregate to sell their reindeer, arrange marriages and sell their crafts and wares to the public.

There are usually lots of other activities and events around the town on the run up and during the market too.

Outside the town the conditions are typically Arctic with all the usual pursuits available that normally implies.

Damian is currently looking into some travel, shipping and camping options.

Date wise the Saami Market formally runs from 7th to the 9th of Feburary 2013 but events start to happen a few days before that in the town.

I'm aiming to be out there from the weekend of January 26th to 10th February, travelling inclusive.

If we can get the basic infrastructure of the trip in place there is probably no reason why dates can't be somewhat flexible around that.

Some Arctic experience is going to be necessary as the temperatures can easily be as low as -40°c with wind and heavy snow. Everyone will be expected to take responsibility for their own safety and well being. This in not a course or a package holiday.

We've got no definite idea of costs or details yet but the question at this stage is who is interested...

"Interest" list:

Wayland.

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
Just to add to Waylands original post, Please note. THis is not a course, and no training will be provided, this is intending to be a meet style adventure, and any member who attends does so under the understanding that no liability while you are there rests on any other member attending, you would be responsible for yourself whilst there, in the same way as any other meet that you would normally attend in the UK.
Im currently looking into group purchases on things like travel, in a attempt to lower the cost, but this being said no one is obliged to enter into this and its perfectly OK to make your own travel arrangement, it purely as a possible idea.

Please post any comment or ideas.

We would love to hear from any of our Swedish Members, a great opportunity to meet some of you Guys and Girls :)

"Interest" list:

Wayland.
udamiano.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I'd love to pop in, too!
But it all depends on further developments here.... but definitely interested!

"Interest" list:

Wayland.
udamiano.
Ron

udamiano

On a new journey
Ok the proposed route would be to fly into stockholm, then catch the overnight 'sleeper' train the next day to Murjek (nearest national station), then catch the local bus to Jokkmokk.

This would give us a whole days stay in Stockholm, to visit the museums and such, and a good start for getting to the station. The overnight train can be booked per cabin, with six berth being the largest; looking at the prices a six berth split between 6 would be the most cost effective way, however the magic number for good discounts with both the rail operator and the airlines seems to be 10, so if we can get 10 people interested in coming and willing to go in with a bulk purchase, it would probably be the cheapest option. Im still looking into prices, which because its not until next January seem a little vague, but the best deals seems to be out of Manchester Airport, as this seems to have the most commercial routes flying to Stockholm. If anyone knows any different please PM me, as all and any additional help is always welcome.

Personally as for accommodation I was thinking at staying at the Campsite, based just on the outskirts.
ScreenShot2012-04-23at204440.png

I've emailed the site and are currently awaiting an answer as to prices pitches, services, and such, there is a goodly stocked supermarket about 5 minutes down the road as well for supplies.

Another alternative would be to book a place a gain on a block booking, I think Bob (imagedude) mentioned a farmhouse which equates to about £450 per week for a six bunk place, again Ill look more into this, and post any additional information as I find it.I would probably be out there a couple of days prior to everyone else, just to make sure things are in place, and of course to get the kettle on :cool:

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Some campgrounds have cabins, generally 4-6 beds, simple kitchen, sometimes shower and toilet, sometimes not. If you want the comfort option that is the way to go. Personally I would figure on sleeping in the woods rather than a campground. If I can go, and depending on where I'm working (I'm currently stuck in an apprently endless run of "one year subsititute" positions) I'll either jump on the same train as you lot, or drive. I have some suitable canvas, and one of my summer plans is to make a canvas tent to be heated with a woodstove. The current plan is to make something like this one.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks for the info udamiano, but you forgot to mention how many days it would be.
Nice tent, forrestwalker! I myself was thinking along the lines of a 12- or 20mans Swedish armytent.

udamiano

On a new journey
Thanks FW, and Ron around the 24th of January to 10/11th of February inclusive so just about 16 days in total for me, I think Gary is looking at 14 days (two weeks).
Yes the main discounts would be targeted at the flights and the Train, and possibly accommodation, as these will be the larger cost outlays.
However if we are going anywhere as a group, its always worth asking for a group discount, alas this doesn't seem to work in Bars, pubs, or restaurants.

Im looking at getting one of my 5metre heated bell tents shipped over along with some other kit prior, then shipped back afterwards, I'll be putting in for bids on shipping costs later in the year, Im hoping the campsite will agree to take delivery of the kit for us, If not Ill find someone

another picture of the area just outside town and opposite of the campsite, to get the imagination fired :cool:

ScreenShot2012-04-23at204807.png

This one is looking away from the town. Imagine what it will look like in the winter :)

ill keep plodding away ,getting prices, schedules and such, and post any info as it arrives

Da

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
If you want to visit these places, better visit the turistbureau first and get a touristcard. Gives you lots of discount on the entryprices AND busfares. You'll need the latter if you don't want to get flat feet from walking... The underground is a very good way to travel.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just noticed we've knocked Ron off the list by mistake.

"interest" List:

1. udamiano
2. Teepee
3. Wayland
4. Lennart
5. Imagedude
6. Ted W
7. Chris the Cat
8. RonW

If anyone is on this list that we've transferred from the other thread isn't interested can you knock yourself off it please.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE