Jaust plain stupid!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't normally get involved in this kind of discussion but I just don't understand how anyone so stupid gets to be a judge!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-44278556

1) I use a pointed knife in the kitchen on an almost daily basis to skin, fillet, and prepare meat
2) 5 minutes with a file will turn any 'bluntly pointed' knife into a sharp point

What is this guy thinking?

Reactions: 5teep

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
He does have a point, so to speak, in that it's you general point ended kitchen knife that's used in most stabbings. It makes the latest proposed legislation changes a bit, well, pointless.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Many stabbings are 'spur of the moment' . If a rounded tip would decrease the violent crime I am for it.

Sure, using a file and creating a point only takes a few minutes, but that is not the point.
If you do, you create an illegal knife.

Everybody can buy a flare gun. Legal.
Everybody can buy an insert online that you convert the practically harmless flaregun into a lethal (and illegal) one shot pistol.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
One doesn't take a kitchen knife out on the street on a 'spur of the moment' decision. I am embarrassed to say that in my youth we carried knives (not for discussion); we would not have dreamt of going out with a blunt kitchen knife! The knife crime on the street will not be changed by a fraction of a percent by blunt kitchen knives. God forbid I have to get a licence for filleting fish :)

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Needs to start running with scissors. And salaried by the public purse.
Just imagine the nest of horribly well armed and uniformed people, running amok in every restaurant kitchen.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It would be easier to stomach the new (and future) regulations if there was some kind of research on how effective these bans/ licensing are.
Not easy of course, but surely they can test introduce in a couple of areas and see the result?

I have a feel the authorities are shooting in the dark. But they try to lessen a hugely increasing problem.

All these new regulations are there to make our lives safer, let us not forget that!

(And before you mention I am 'across the Atlantic', I live on an British territory with basically British laws.
What laws are introduced in UK we get here a bit later)

Weirdly enough, I clean a fillet a lot of fish. Lots. Taught by a professional fisherman. His knifes have blunt tips.
Why? I did ask. He told me it was foolish to use a pointy knife on a boat in bad weather.
He fished in the northern Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea.
I also clean and debone chicken. Debone beef and pork. And you know what? I do not use the tip there either

Do you have one of those smoked salmon slicing knifes? Blunt rounded tip. . Try. see it as another skill with a knife!

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Do you have one of those smoked salmon slicing knifes? Blunt rounded tip. .

Yep, but I wouldn't dream of using it to open up the belly of anything where there was a danger of cutting into the gut. I guess we've all been shown different ways to do things and the sharply pointed knife, blade edge uppermost, finger under the tip of the blade, is the way I was shown by my grand father and I've been using for 50 years; too late to change now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Macaroon and Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You know, I WILL use the tip of my knifes when I clean the catch next time.
I promise!
Another (small) skill!

I used to use scissors and my fingers on small game (rabbit, bird), and a knife with a hook looking thing on the spine for deer and moose.

Here, on this British overseas Territory, there is also a discussion about bladed implements, as we have the same problem.

here they talk that only people with the need will be able to buy machetes.

From this year, we need to prove that we are active members in the gun club, to get our gun permits yearly renewals.

No doubt, once The Beloved Motherland introduces the knife regs, we will eventually follow.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’d imagine as a retiring judge he has his own brigade of butchers and fishmongers to take care of his meat and fish, all carefully screened for possible psychopathic violent disorders, or...

He has plenty of pointed knives in his own kitchen and uses them to do what they were made to do while looking condescendingly at everyone, because they can’t be trusted.

Half tempted to send him a “My First Opinel” and a whole salmon. :deadhorse:

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Everybody can buy a flare gun. Legal.

Not in the UK.

6.54 Section 13(1)(a) of the 1968 Act also applies to the possession of signalling apparatus (for
example, Very pistols) and ammunition for it. Section 13(1)(b) of the 1968 Act provides for
such apparatus and ammunition, which are part of the equipment of aircraft, to be stored
in safe custody at an aerodrome and to be removed between the place of storage and
the aircraft, or from one aircraft to another at an aerodrome, without the necessity for a
certificate or permit.
6.55 A permit on form 115 may be issued under section 13(1)(c) of the 1968 Act to cover any
other case of removal of signalling apparatus. This permit is prescribed by the Firearms
Rules 1998 – see rule 9(3) and Schedule 4 Part V.
6.56 A firearm certificate is necessary to authorise the purchase or acquisition of signalling
apparatus and ammunition
but this may be issued free of charge

Reactions: Janne

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Surely this will just deflect the attacks to using a different pointy implement? - I also keep screwdrivers in my kitchen draw, will all those have to be blunted? will I have to pay someone who is certificated in the use of pointy screwdriver operation to come round and do it for me?

I also use the pointy tip of a knife to open packaging.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Just as a point of interest, Coronation Street was shown last night after 9pm (the watershed) as it was deemed too violent and they assumed the kids would be in bed at 9pm, and they didn't want to give them bad ideas of how to go about killing people etc,I have just watched it being repeated on daytime TV and all the kids are on a break off school, I just wander the sense in all this, is it that the lunatics are really running the asylum, now if this retired Judge had said something about this then it would have made sense, he is probably after a Knighthood or looking to be enobled, and when you look at some of the people who have had these honours bestowed on them, he should have been advised it would have been better if he was on drugs, or had fiddled his expenses. one of the characters was hit over the head with a rock, so those people with rock gardens beware.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Viewed another way, I suppose he makes an interesting point. People have long argued against legislation that affects the import, use, carriage of higher end working cutlery, hunting/camping blades etc. and have done so by putting the case that most street crimes are committed by using the kitchen knife.

Nic Madge seems to be supporting that point of view.

On the other hand of course there is always some git trying to eat away at our liberties, or trying to get us to give them away by appealing to our reasonableness. Little creep sounds like one of those. Probably just positioning himself politically for his post retirement career, lordship and so forth

Reactions: Nice65

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As I've said elsewhere, I don't mind controlling legislation if it has a chance of doing good. What worries me is that a man in such a position of responsibility who must use common sense logic on a daily basis to deliver 'justice' should be so obviously stupid as to believe that only selling blunt ended kitchen blade will stop knife crime. And I should point out that the word 'stupid' is one that I rarely if ever apply to people. I just hope he's been miss-quoted.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is my understanding that ordinary table knives were pointy until sometime - Tudor/Elizabethan? - they were made to be blunt cause too many folk were being stabbed with them in "Tavern Brawls" ... I could be wrong on this point though...

Reactions: Robson Valley

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I just heard this reported on the BBC radio news and the way they told it he was asking for an easily available service that would allow people to get their 8"-10" kitchen knives modified to a blunt end.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Easy. Drop them on a tiled floor.
Wife did that x-mas time last year. A Kiritsuke made by Moritaka Hamono. I was not happy!

It is now a long Usuba.

But if he thinks criminals carry 8-10 inch blade knives, he is stupid. Too long. Not easy to conceal.
Most knives carried are much shorter.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Easy. Drop them on a tiled floor.
Wife did that x-mas time last year. A Kiritsuke made by Moritaka Hamono. I was not happy!

It is now a long Usuba.

But if he thinks criminals carry 8-10 inch blade knives, he is stupid. Too long. Not easy to conceal.
Most knives carried are much shorter.

He may have seen some evidence of knife crimes in his time as a judge though so hopefully he's taking from experience of the weapons that were used. Probably not though.

My wife snapped my Global filleting knife in half if it's any consolation. :(

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE