Jankki

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
So wednesday was Finland's 100th anniversary of Independance
Whilst not a Finn myself i have friends (via the internet i confess) who are.
I had a pass from Lisa for a day up my woods so i took the oppourtunity to make a traditional Finn meal
Jannki. Its simple fare as it was a meal prepared by the woodsmen.
So simple it has only 3 ingrediants
Smoked Fatty Bacon
Rye bread (ryvita sort of rye bread)
Water
First you slowly fry the bacon so it lets all the flavour and juices out.
Then crush the rye bread/ryvita into the pan and allow it to soak up the juices
Then a splash of water and allow to boil.
20171206_110612_001.jpg
Wash it down with strong black kokkaffe
Its a surprisingly filling and i can certainly see it fueling a day's hard graft.
If i am honest i personally may add something to give it a little kick if i was to eat it frequently but it was a lot more palatable than i thought it would be when described to me

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You can substitute the crackerbread with Rye flour too. Or Wasa Rye cracker bread. Ryvita is to bland in taste.
Extremely filling, but not the most extremely healthy dish!

This is a classic forest and railroad workers dish in Scandinavia and Finland. A 'one pan dish".
Enjoy irresponsibly with Vodka or beer.

Last edited:
You can substitute the crackerbread with Rye flour too. Or Wasa Rye cracker bread. Ryvita is to bland in taste.
Extremely filling, but not the most extremely healthy dish!

This is a classic forest and railroad workers dish in Scandinavia and Finland. A 'one pan dish".
Enjoy irresponsibly with Vodka or beer.
Ryvita was all my local tesco had....

I dont drink. So coffee will suffice

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You need to speak with the manager.... Vasa have a wonderful range of very tasty crackerbreads, superb to take as provision into the Wild..

I believe also they use for this( culinary delight, medical nightmare :) ) a bread made by Fazer called Efterungslimpa in Sweden. very slow baked rye flattish breads. Long lasting. They do not export it to UK.

Coffee is good too!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Y... a bread made by Fazer called Efterungslimpa in Sweden. very slow baked rye flattish breads. Long lasting. They do not export it to UK.

If they don't export to the UK why even bother suggesting it? It's not as if we'd be able to persuade a big conglomerate like Tescos to do so.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I suggested the Swedish Vasa crackerbread, which is widely available in Uk. I also wrote that the correct bread used in Finland is the Fazer one. I did not suggest it.

You need to use a Rye sourdough bread for the flavor in that dish.
Man of Tanith, can you buy Finncrisp? The Original or Caraway should be delicious in it.

I thought people were interested to get info about the real ingredients, but apparently not....

I suggest you try it Mesquite next time you go into Nature!

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not a fan of "mystery food" I'd do the bacon and fry some dark rye bread in the bacon fat. There's a heart stopper
for a clear autumn morning with coffee for drain cleaner.

Nice to read what the original foods historically contained. Usually a healthy dose of "Unobtanium."

Our major grocery chains (eg Super Store, Soby's and Save-On Foods) are quite receptive to search
for uncommon products. It's obvious to us that not all stores carry all products. Don't know until you ask.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
the origins for this dish is:
Smoked fatty pork ( fatty cuts = cheap, fatty cuts = energy, smoked = preserved)
Rye flour ( rye grows well in the bad soils and climate of Scandinavia and Finland)

Vitamin C ? Bah, a Real Man does not need teeth!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Locals near my village are making bacon and it is smoked just about orange color with apple wood.
Gotta get my name in again, soon. I bought some pork belly and fried it , disgusting result.

Rye does well all over eastern europe. I've always had trouble holding the rise in rye breads.
I have sliced some failed dark rye and let it dry out. Pretty crunchy for anybody with teeth.
It isn't rocket science to make your own breads of all kinds.
Help yourself to my lime marmalade.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
looks good. Last time i was there, an old Sami lady cooked us a traditional stew (really can't remember the name, and couldn't pronounce it if i could, lol), but was some kind of offal, potatoes and fatty pork. It was delicious, but i've never been able to find out what it was.
Certainly kept the warmth in.

Reactions: Man of Tanith

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If they don't export to the UK why even bother suggesting it? It's not as if we'd be able to persuade a big conglomerate like Tescos to do so.

Probably not Tesco, but possibly one of the high end grocers might.

......Nice to read what the original foods historically contained. Usually a healthy dose of "Unobtanium."

Our major grocery chains (eg Super Store, Soby's and Save-On Foods) are quite receptive to search
for uncommon products. It's obvious to us that not all stores carry all products. Don't know until you ask.

Yeah, same here. Mesquite originally referred to Tesco's. Been quite a while since I was in the UK but back then Tesco's was on a par with Target here (basically a smaller scale (size-wise) but slightly more upscale (quality and fashion-wise) version of Walmart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very unlikely that any of the major grocery chains would bring in a specific rye crispbread for a niche buying group.
On the whole rye bread doesn't have much appeal here at all.....but then, we are spoiled for choice of breads really :)

Reactions: Man of Tanith

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, you Brits abandoned Rye when the US wheat became cheap.
( heard it in a tv programme about baking)
Late 1800’ I think it was.

Now Rye is making a bit of a comeback in UK and US, it seems.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually rye was never very popular here. We much preferred oats and barley and peasemeal.
We still have a huge repertoire of recipes for oatcakes and beremeal bannocks.
Remember too that one major reason for the Roman invasion was the wheat crops of southern England. They had exhausted the Sardinian soils and the British were providing exports of wheat to the Gauls.

Rye isn't much regarded and seems to have always not been highly considered. A brief resurgence during the bad years following medieval plagues, but otherwise other grains make better eating.
Even the pollen varves show that the mix of grain that was common so that something might grow regardless of weather, disease or pests, was always light on the rye.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE