Jacket or Smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dd786

Nov 22, 2011
kent
Hey guys. Lots of guys out there wearing smocks for their bushcraft. Personally it seems quite awkward not being able to just unzip and take off. What are the reasons that one would go with a smock over a jacket for bushcraft?

Reactions: paulds

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Not sure I understand. I have a british MTP-smock and I can unzip it and take off. Could you please elaborate what you mean, DD786?

Reactions: dd786

dd786

Nov 22, 2011
kent
Sure Herman,
What i mean is it seems a full length zipper makes it much easier to put on/remove the jacket compared to having to pull the smock off/put it on from overhead. also with a smock you are limited to how much you can ventilate the jacket. Only half way or a bit more usually. Whereas with a full length zip jacket you can wear it fully open keeping shoulders arms back warm but venting from the front fully.

I know that one argument is if you use a kiak or canoe for example, having absolutely no zip (i.e. site of potential leak) from halfway down is better but from a bushcraft perspective where you are upright most of the time AND most jackets have storm flaps, that benefit seems redundant.

No criticism or judgement on the smock users. I just want to know why choose a smock over the jacket in case im missing something.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Ok, as I understand it; what you call smock is in fact (well at least I call it) an anorak. What I understand with the word smock is this:

mtp_smock1_l.jpg

Ok, now that I understand what you mean. Usually I wear jackets like in the photo here above. I have some smocks as you call them but they are without pockets and only for covering layerings underneath.
One smock (anorak) I have is made of polish tenthalves, it´s for when some raincover is needed because it is quite rainproof but still breathes quite well. Another smock (anorak) is a thin windproof one used when I bicyle. It is not rainproof, only waterdrop proof.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, I am living in Germany, what is perhaps a few degrees warmer in the summer, but even in Winter I recommend:

FOR HIKING A JACKET HAS TO HAVE A FULL LENGTH ZIPPER !!!
ANORAKS ARE CONSTRUCTED BY AND MADE FOR INUITS !!!

For hiking the best layering is the following:

Summer:

T-Shirt
Shirt with buttons, pouches (classic)
Fleece Jacket
Light rain proof.

The Shirt has to be so large, that you can wear it over the Fleece Jacket as Windstopper and spark protection

Autom and Spring till 0*C:

T-Shirt
Shirt
Fleece Jacket
Heavy cotton shirt or light BDU Jacket
(Waterproof if needed.)

Winter:

Additional a thin pullover under the Fleece Jacket.

As you see, with that system you can play around to find the optimal combination of the day.

Parts of it can be washed and dried if it isn't to cold.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That was my point. Jackets are practical. Anoraks can be that, but not so much.
Anoraks were designed before the invention of zips. Because buttons leave gaps.
And I do not think the people closely connected to Anoraks, the Eskimos/ Inuits even had button technology.

Smocks? Is that not what Dame Edna wears?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Austrian Army uses a green one, called "Jacke zum Kampfanzug KAZ 03".
It's cheap and of good quality. And light as the american BDU. 35% Poly 65% Cotton, fast drying, but spark resistant. I like it very much.

Most smocks are to heavy for hiking. Its horrible to carry them in the ruck sack.

That's the reason, why I recommend to let even the light one at home in the summer.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Etna and Hekla!

The large pouches are for the loads of cigarettes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’m a fan of traditional smocks (not with a full zip). I think the design first became popular in WW2 with early SF units like the LRDG and SAS. Later the same smocks were issued to mountain troops also. The smock remained popular with SF units and I guess some were tailored with zips until the classic wind proof smock was issued in the 1960s. This design remained basically the same until the 00s when the standard issue combat jacket became a smock. The wind proof smocks were always nicer to wear and quicker drying (though less robust) being made out of cotton gaberdine rather than heavy cotton. There was also the Cadet Smock that was issued for Adventurous Training and flight deck smocks for the RN. A common theme therefore is that smocks work well in windy / cold / hostile environments hence this is where they were issued. The civilian market followed a similar course from the 1940s until the late 1970s. I’ve got a nice Ventile smock for Bushcraft and in the mountains in winter I wear the Paramo Aspira smock. I like the front pocket design for storing my map, phone etc. Both ventilate fine through the fabric. I had a Goretex smock for a while but it was pretty sweaty a lot of the time as there were no pit zips. Ultimately it’s down to personal choice.

Reactions: Artic Bob

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are no Eskimo any more. All are Inuit, not some white man's name any more.
My preference is a garment with a big brass YKK 2-way zipper. Have you got those?
You can open from the bottom for ventilation as you wish.
Any zippers with smaller teeth, the plastic ones are the worst, tend to freeze up faster.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Oh!
I never thought about this problem!

But apart of the rain proofs, the sleeping Bag and some Trousers I only use buttons.

That's the best.
No technology, no problems!

Reactions: Robson Valley

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
There are no Eskimo any more. All are Inuit, not some white man's name any more.
My preference is a garment with a big brass YKK 2-way zipper. Have you got those?
You can open from the bottom for ventilation as you wish.
Any zippers with smaller teeth, the plastic ones are the worst, tend to freeze up faster.
Well whatever I like a pullover garment because it is more weatherproof at the end of the day, and you can have full width kangaroo pockets. Pit zips are useful though, oh dear did I mention zips, in the old day it would have been laces or buttons.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, Inuit are living in Canada, Inupiak or something in Alaska. The Greenland Eskimos prefer to be called Greenlanders, but some call then Inuits as they have historical close connection to their Canadian brethren.
Then you have those in the north eastern part of the Russian Federation, the countries east of Siberia. Yakutia and Shukotka. Called something like that.

The term Eskimo encompasses all these people groups.

An upoer body clothes item with either buttons or a full length zip has another good aspect compared to an over the head garment, that is that you have the possibility of easily accessible inside pockets.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A smock is a jacket in green or camouflage with a lot of large pouches that is used in armies or it looks like it would be used in armies.

People in our age call this type of jacket a military jacket or a field jacket.

It is more or less the same like with the war ministries, which are now a days called ministries of defence or the old bitch in the neighbour house, we call now a days a lady.

That's all.

;0)

Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Non-military so smock for me is a half length zipped garment for the upper body used as windproof or waterproof layer. Jacket is a full length zipped version of the same types of garments.

The op I suspect has the same view judging by his question.

What a jacket allows is the front to be opened up and the garment easily removed by taking one arm out of the sleeve at a time and bringing the garment round one side to put away or do whatever you want with

A smock requires a little more contortion to bring it over the head, especially if it's a snug fit garment for improved performance. I've owned a buffalo windshirt and it was a close fit to prevent excess flapping fabric in wind. To get it off I had to open up the side zips completely before I could get it off. I've tried buffalo special 6 shirt (pertex / pile smock) and with it not being a stretchable fabric it was easy to put on but not as easy to get off IMHO.

However I do think they have performance advantages over jackets. It really does depend where your priorities lie as to whether they are right or not for you.

Personally I've always been a fan of smocks but went for jackets. Now I'm thinking a smock for my cycle commute on wet days is a positive option. Any cycling jacket or shell layer I own involves a zip that folds/bends when cycling. That's a degree of annoyance IME.

For Bushcraft? I really don't know if there's a specific advantage or disadvantage. A lot probably depends on what your form of Bushcraft entails. Sitting round a fire with mates and beer then anything you like the look of. Possibly jacket so you can take off easier. If it's more active then pro's and cons for both types. If you're not likely to need to keep taking it on and off then a smock might be best. If like me when active you hate wearing hard shell layers you'll probably take it off when the rain stops and back on when it re-starts so a jacket is best.

Reactions: BJJJ

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A smok is an anorak is a outer garment which you have to pull over your head.
What you call it depends on which school you attended.

A jacket normally has front closures such as buttons, velcro or a zipper.
Better quality jackets usually have at least 2 closure systems.
Double zippers offer the greatest comfort.

Colors and color patterns are determined by activity and in some cases, by law.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE