Is Karrimor still a Good Option

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
As karrimor , Lonsdale is now owned by Sports Direct are their products still a good option?

Has anyone anybody had trouble getting through to their customer service.

My daughter bought a Karrimor treadmill which has broken down, and as it has a 2 year warranty she was not too worried until she tried to get in touch with Karrimor (which then directs you to Sports Direct), and despite emails, letters, etc has not even had a reply, she has tried to phone several times but at 13p per minute and the last time she tried she hung on for just under an hour, without getting through.

I have 2 Karrimor rucksacks and a coat, that are over 20 years old and are as good as new, but I wonder now if I bought the same articles today would they last as long, Karrimor products used to be made in the UK, but I fear they are now made as cheap as poss in China.........does anybody know if they are still made in the UK?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My old karrimor stuff is fantastic quality....i believe only their 'SF' (sabre, predator, etc) range are of the quality we remember. The rest is just another cheapo brand nowadays. I bought my mrs a (non SF) rucksack a while back just for toting a few things to work and back...honestly i may as well have got something un-branded off the market for a fiver. Absolutely terrible quality

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Same as above. The SF stuff is a completely separate firm and make top quality gear. The rest is throw away landfill garbage. I would take the treadmill down to the shop and park it in the doorway until they gave you a refund. I recently had to buy a gumshield from them in a hurry before a fight but other than that I avoid sports direct. Even then trying to find a member of staff to direct me to the right part of the store was near impossible. Awful company who care nothing for their staff.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's a shame that Sports Direct were allowed to keep the name because, as others have said, Karrimor SF is a completely separate company still making top quality rucksacks for the military. I spoke to guys on the KSF stand at a Defence expo recently and they despaired at the c**p being produced under the Karrimor name by Sports Direct.
My old Karrimor Jaguar S65 is still going strong after 30 years!

Cheers,

Broch

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
As stated, Karrimor and Karrimor SF are completely separate. Regular Karrimor used to be outstanding. Absolutely nothing about Karrimor remained the same after being taken over. Except the name of course! The old reputation of the name is the only thing the brand has going for it, once it has been fully milked for all it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets discarded by Sports Direct.
Utter junk.

Lacijag1

Forager
I have bought several karrimor products in the past 5 years and i was quiet happy with them.
One of the best boots for the money was my karrimor orkney boots was. Lasted me for 3 years! Which is a lot for a £50 boot, and i did put lots of miles in to that boot.
Bought 2 karrimor weathertite jackets. First one was £24 on sale the second was £40. Both of them over 2 years old, still waterproof.
I am very pleased with their products. I don't expect wonders from them but in their price range they are quiet good.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
+1 for Sports Direct & karrimor walking boots I Get mine from the junior section for around just under 30 quid, cos I got wee feet!

I got Plantar fasciitis & need descent footwear can't fault them they get wet almost every day & my feet remain dry.

& for anybody who doesn't Know (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) is one of the most common causes of heel pain. It involves inflammation of a thick band of tissue that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes (plantar fascia).

I wear them 24~7 work & play, get around 10 months before the tread burns out & the heels wear through to the hollow pockets.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Ah, wasn't aware SF were separate. Was ready to jump at the defence but I have a SF30 daypack. Amazing quality rugged pack that has lasted years of abuse daily.

Good to know they are separate. Assumed SF was just the "expensive" stuff.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Unless you are quite happy to have whatever "Karrimor" product you buy fail, fall to bits or simply not be very good quality, your best bet is to avoid "Karrimor" completely.

Basically, they have now degraded their quality so much that they are in the same class that "peter storm", "regatta" and "gelert" were in (and remain so) in the 70's and are on a par with highlander, bcb, webtex, anything "own brand" from go outdoors and any number of chinese rip offs.

If you want cheap throw away trash, stuff that "will do", then go ahead and buy your karrimor bits and bobs but just don't expect too much from it.

I still have a genuine karrimor panther that I bought around 1993 which has seen some outrageous abuse including being dropped from helicopters, repeatedly dragged on and off/in and out of military transport and still offers many years of service but its original

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
+1 for Sports Direct & karrimor walking boots I Get mine from the junior section for around just under 30 quid, cos I got wee feet!

Mine fell apart within two weeks of just walking around town - never again.

Basically, they have now degraded their quality so much that they are in the same class that "peter storm", "regatta" and "gelert" were in (and remain so) in the 70's and are on a par with highlander, bcb, webtex, anything "own brand" from go outdoors and any number of chinese rip offs.

If you want cheap throw away trash, stuff that "will do", then go ahead and buy your karrimor bits and bobs but just don't expect too much from it.

I think they now own gelert as well. Considering the amount of cheapish gear around from the likes of Go Outdoors, Decathlon, etc, why bother? I even hate SP shops - some of the most miserable retail experiences out there.

I've got an old Karrimor top I bought in about 2000 in a sale - still incredibly useful. I remember when Sports Direct took over Lilywhites in Central London, and sold off cheap the (good) Karrimor stock they got for a song. I missed out on a 45L rucksack for about £14 (!), although in my defence my wife was pregnant at the time, and thus spending money on it would have been awkward!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Can only suggest one keeps away from Sports Direct, irrespective of the product. Their service and or practice I have found to be very poor............

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I expressed my surprise on the forum some time ago that my Karrimor trainers were cr*p. I was left in no doubt that Karrimor was no longer the firm I remembered from years back.

It is heartening to learn from this thread that all is not lost. Yet another example of how this forum can help to avoid wasting money. Full membership worth every penny.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE