I phone which one ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I know nothing about gadgets which model of I phone is the best it is for myself ,i want something that is easily used ,can store my music ,good camera and internet access.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Android is googles operating system for tablets and smartphones. You'll have way more options (handsets, plans etc.) if you go for an Android phone. But essentially they do all the same things - you just aren't locked into apple.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I'm not a great phone fan but this thing is simply stuning, so speaking from experience I'd recommend one. The only thing I know about the iPhone is what my children tell me, the screens is small and all the chavs in town have them.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
For Gills benefit - the S2 is an android phone. It's a great phone, I also have one.

Me too. An excellent phone, more freedom than an iphone, loads of free apps, the screen wont smash if dropped from 8 inches (happened to my daughters iphone!) and it does everything an iphone does without having to use itunes for everything. Very highly recommended. :)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I'm an iPhone man mate, they're simple to use and the app store is regarded as the very best in the world. I'm not really keen on Android phones but that's simply because I have an iPhone.

The only thing about Apple is that it's slightly limited, the main thing is that you can't use Flash Player so are basically limited to youtube if you want to watch videos, although some sites are Apple compatible, I've learnt to live with this and it's really not as bad as some people make it out to be.

The operating systems are basically Windows vs Mac, the classic debate, one is good for some things, one is good for the other.

If I was going for one I would go for the iPhone 4, it will be considerably cheaper than the new 4S (Which is a glorified 4) and should have everything you're looking for. An android phone will be cheaper and you might get more freebies as part of the deal, unfortunately Apple are at a position in the market atm that they can charge what they like and not offer any iincentives and people will still buy their product so they are in a good place.

One of the main advantages of Apple though is that the customer service is second to none, they are very good at replacing faulty units (Very rare occurence) without making a big song and dance about it.

Signal can sometimes be a bit of an issue with iPhones and the battery life is basically limited to about a day through normal use, Facebook is the biggest killer of mine, too easy to be on it all day. I'm not sure if Android phones are the same but it will probably depend on what model you're after.

Insurance companies tend to have a higher excess on iPhones if they are lost or stolen too.

Hope this helps mate this is basically everything I know. On paper with the benefits and the cost of everything Android's are better but I have an iPhone, love it and don't mind this, a LOT of others are the same.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Me too. An excellent phone, more freedom than an iphone, loads of free apps, the screen wont smash if dropped from 8 inches (happened to my daughters iphone!) and it does everything an iphone does without having to use itunes for everything. Very highly recommended. :)

The screens on iPhones can be bought from eBay for less than a tenner and take anyone with any technical ability about 20 mins to change, albeit a bit of a hassle.

I know 2 people with a Galaxy S2 and it is a beautiful phone, I'm just a slave to Apple and can't see beyond Apple :lmao:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
I'd have said Android is probably better for the more slightly advanced user, where as anyone can use an iPhone

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
SWMBO uses her Android phone just fine as does MOSWMBO. Neither of them are technical.Personally I find it's a fashion and brand choice. If you like labels, go with apple.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The screens on iPhones can be bought from eBay for less than a tenner and take anyone with any technical ability about 20 mins to change, albeit a bit of a hassle.

I know 2 people with a Galaxy S2 and it is a beautiful phone, I'm just a slave to Apple and can't see beyond Apple :lmao:

I can easily believe this statement;) When I think of Apple fanboyzs I always think of Scientology too! very strange lol.

Joking aside they are all good phones, with Apple you are stuck with two or three models with Android you get (broadly speaking ) the same operating system on a variety of models and at a variety of prices. My lad uses a Windows phone and thats a slick piece of work too; I think Windows phones will come on a lot now they (Microsoft) have Nokia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvmtCQhvrkM

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
I have the iPhone 4 my mate has the Samsung galaxy at the end of his contract he's coming over to iPhone I have a few apps that are great when out in the sticks for I'd purpose etc and I have to say I dropped mine when I was on the air ride at Alton towers this summer about 30ft to impact it bent the middle frame by about 2-3 mil with a little scratch on the screen I did have a gear 4 clear case fitted whicH did all he protection not bad for a £8 bit of kit the phone still works perfect it was a bit of luck it survived but it did ! Don't think I'd go for any oth phone after this the only real downside is battery life and tied to I tunes but not too bad to live with

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Android platform phone. ...I've only ever payed for one app allegedly...Rogers mushroom guide. Majority are free from alternative markets and for them with aht scruples...you can use torrents direct to your phone.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Both types of phones will make calls, have the ability to do more than your likely to use them for and look very similar.

I bought a Iphone the Mrs liked it so i gave it her and bought a HTC Desire HD.
She now likes my phone better than her Iphone so ill buy her a Android based phone for Xmas.

As i say both make calls although the older Iphone does cut out mid call if you hold it in a certain way.
Apparently your hand covers up the aerial.
This was apparently solved by using a case, but then not everyone wants to use a case/cover type thing.

I've used both phones a fair bit and they're very similar in a lot of ways.

With my Desire HD i hate the fact the battery only lasts 12 hours.

With the Iphone i hate the fact that although the battery lasts longer you can't easily change the battery, you can't add memory cards and you can't easily add ap's unless you go through Itunes.

The Android based system has the ability to get easily to the battery, you can change the memory as easily, you can install whatever ap's you want from where you want.

When i use the Iphone i feel that the designers are taking me for a fool, and it's never really your phone, your just borrowing it.

When i use the Android i feel that the designers are saying, this is the start do what you want with it it's your phone.

Your choice.
Which ever you choose though it'll do more than you'll ever use it for.

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Depends on how much you want to usethe phone or really use it. As an avid Android user and Apple dis-liker, I would recommend an iPhone to someone if they weren't technically literate as you can't break an iPhone - you can't do much with it, but you can't upset the apps or operating system.

Android allows you to either use it like a iPhone (i.e. do with what Google gave you) or use it like a real electronic tool as you have much more access to OS / platform meaning app developers can do a heck of a lot more!! As a simple example, any application calls to the GPS on a iPhone must go through Apple's API meaning any restrictions on are felt by every GPS using application - Android allows applications to talk directly to the GPS unit so there is no OS interference. This may seem like a trivial thing but why (for years) have Android users been getting better GPS results than iPhone users using the same GPS chipset?

Android isn't perfect and until the latest release (V4 or Ice Cream Sandwich / ICS), was a bit lacking in the GUI / eye candy. However, ICS has taken the smartphone GUI to the next level so if you are considering getting a new phone, make sure you compare an ICS handset V iPhone. Most modern Android handsets will get an update to ICS over the coming months but try and have a play with a Google Nexus phone (based on Samsung Galaxy S2 but bigger).

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE