How small can you go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
My latest thought is about minimalistic kit, my brother has recently got into one night trips out and about, and he was asking me what kit he needed.

He had a few must have bits of kit, things like he wanted a tent, sleeping bag and stove (due to locations, a fire is a no go). However this got me thinking about how small could I go, could I get enough kit into a small bag, something like a maxpedition versipack, or a small rucksack for a one night trip.

Would a Bivi bag alone work, or a bivi bag and a brolly over your head.

Reactions: buckfynn

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There is a bloke on YouTube going by the name of the British Pilgrim. If does a few overnight camps with everything in an 18 litre pack.
Worth a look to get ideas from.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
It really depends on the level of comfort or discomfort you’re prepared to accept.

I have paddled the Nahanni using a one season ultra light down sleeping bag and the smallest lightest thermarest equilvant available at the time.

Minimalist clothing and kit. This was to allow space for essential group kit.

Basically I spent the trip cold it dropped below freezing most nights but I survived and had a wonderful trip.

I have slept at minus 27C with no sleeping bag in debris shelters. That’s cold.

Look at what mountain marathoners carry if you’re looking for fast and light. Plus the through trekkers on the long distance trails like the PTC and Continental Divide.

I prefer more comfort and durable kit these days but when the need arises fast and light is doable.

Ultra minimalist is a knife and a metal cup and 30m of cordage. Luxury item a fire steel.

Reactions: Broch

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Depends on the temp and risk of rain. Plus comfort.

I did a weekend (dry, summer) with a "sleeping bag" I made from two of those Survival blankets, fishing line and hook, knife and matches. A couple of decades ago.

Was not comfortable to sleep like that.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have spent the night out with nothing more than fitted into the thigh pocket of my combat trousers and the clothing I was wearing...
It is part of the Bushcraftusa "Bushclass" award scheme.
Shelter was a "Tarp" from a Space blanket over a bracken bed by a long log fire: bedding was the poncho I was wearing as a cover and a "disposable" poncho as a mattress cover: teabags and sugar,, firelighting, a wire saw for harvesting firewood, minimal 1st aid etc fitted into a tin that also acted as my water collector and brew tin, while food was some biscuits and a hank of paracord fitted in somewhere...
I will not say that it was luxury but it was OK for one night.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
If it's just an overnighter then eat before you go, yes you may get hunger pangs but you're not starving, a sleeping bag in a bivvy bag and a litre of water, sling it over your shoulder, warm cloths on you and can strip off if needed, That would about do me I think, depending on X,Y and Z of course.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If it's just an overnighter then eat before you go, yes you may get hunger pangs but you're not starving, a sleeping bag in a bivvy bag and a litre of water, sling it over your shoulder, warm cloths on you and can strip off if needed, That would about do me I think, depending on X,Y and Z of course.

Eat before you go?
Cruel and unusual punishment

If you can't fit a couple of good sized flapjacks in your pocket then you need a better coat

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you are unable to find food (fish0) , you can carry a very energy dense food called chocolate.
And it is tasty too!!!
:)

Space blanket, yes that is the name for what I used.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Granted I've got all the fancy titanium, down, and silnylon kit but I do hammock weekenders down to about -5*c in complete comfort with a 35ltr pack
Unless you want to go with just what you can fit in your pockets I don't think you gain a lot with any smaller of a pack

The comfort to weight ratio goes out the window imo

I could cancel the hammock, quilts, stove, use a tiny tarp
And then have a 25ltr pack but that saving ain't worth sleeping on the cold ground or canning about with debris beds and relying on fire for cooking and warmth.....i could do all that with a 35ltr pack too lol

Simple overnighters I can do with an 15ltr lumbar pack. Again down to -5*c in total comfort

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have a 'summer lightweight' 25 litre pack which has good for 3 days / 2 nights (at least) Weighs in at 10 kgs - inc 1.7 kgs of water and 1.2 kg of food
The bulk and weight is vastly reduced by not carrying loads of thick winter clothing

Regatta Advance 25 Litre Rucksack

Waterproof Bag Cover.

Strap Mount Water Bottle Holder

Gelert 1-Man 3-Season Tent (Tent, Flysheet, Poles, Pegs & Guys)

Ground Sheet (Footprint)

OEX Sleeping Bag (3-4-Season)

Inflatable Pillow

Air Mattress

Gas Stove (Manual Ignition)

110g Gas Cartridge + Cartridge Adapter And O-Rings

Folding Wood Burning Stove (Inc Paper, Kindling & Pan-Bars)

2x Lighters

Titanium Cook Pot & Saucepan

Stainless Steel Mug

Measuring Jug

Tea-Towel & Washing Up Liquid

T-Spoon

Can Opener

Aluminium Foil

2x 500ml Water, 1x 700ml Water

1x 1.5 litre Water Carrier.

Water Filter Pump Kit + 2x Condom Bladders + 12x Water Sterilising Tablets

4x Tea, Milk & Sweeteners,

1x Pack Dextrose Tablets

2-Day Ration Pack ~2000Kcal / Day (2x Porridge,1x Cup-A-Soup, 1x Mug Shotz, 2x Granola Bars, 1x ‘Chicken & Rice, 1x Spaghetti Bolognese, 2x Choc Bars, 2x Cocoa Sachets, 2x Flapjacks, 1x Spork ).

Washing Kit (Towel, Comb, Soap)

Poncho (also used as an extra sheet/groundsheet)

Pants, Socks, Vest, Down Gillet, Camp Slippers

Spare Boot Laces

1st Aid Kit, Roll Zinc Oxide tape

Sat Map GPS

Solar Battery Re-charge Bank.

1x LED Head Torch, 1x Hand Torch

Retractable (Craft) Knife

1x Heavy Duty Bin Bag

Trowel (c/w toilet paper and hand wash), Additional Toilet Paper

USB Tent-Light

Spare Spectacles.

Sewing Kit

*1st Aid kit (12x Plasters, 2 x Butterfly plasters, 1x Tube Germolene, 6x Safety pins,

18x Paracetamol, 2x Steri-wipes, 2x Absorbent dressings, 1x bandage, 5x Butterfly ‘stitches’, 8x Cetirizine, 1x Tweezers, 6x cotton buds 2x Tick-Tools)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ed Stafford did several brilliant videos and had nawt but his birthday suit.

All a matter of your comfort and skill level.

Knowledge+practice+attitude - age-wisdom-willing-fitness-comfort.

Reactions: bopdude

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
The question from the OP was a bit vague, parameters such as time of year cloths worn etc, I mean, summer in the UK for one night, belly full of food and the right cloths on I'll go to the woods how I stand :)

Reactions: Janne
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
This is as light as I have gone.
heavy blade, makes all you need right?
SAK/ tiddler knife
Heavy blanket
torch
baling twine
2-3 HD plastic bags (stuff them for bedding etc)
basha/tarp(optional)
waterproof coat(optional)
spare socks
canteen
hanging pot(alloy)
fire starter kit
hike food, main meal, coffee sugar
smoke's
I think take food it makes for a nicer evening, and you can spend more time making you camp good, as for coffee and smoke's well nothing quite like coffee an a fat roll up as the sun go's down, maybe not as light as it could be but every man has his own thoughts on what's heavy, but on the comfort to carry ratio I guess I'm more for comfort, you get more energy from it and your more into doing it again.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
There some really good points here, so thank you all.
I’m doing an over night with the scouts in November, they will be building their own shelters and sleeping in them, so instead of my hammock, I may just go with very minimal and see how I get on. It’s only one night, what’s the worst that can happen...

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
For one night should be enough the following:

Matches
Knife
Cordage
Military poncho
Sleeping bag
Bivvy bag
Water bottle or mug (metal)
Bread and cheese
Toilet paper
Rucksack to carry it all

To let more at home needs a lot of training.

I recommend to wear swimming breefs under polyester-cotton zipp off trousers, woolen socks and boots, polycotton or merino T-shirt under polycotton shirt, fleece jacket and a water tight cap in the stile of a baseball cap or a hat.
The shirt should be two sizes larger than usual because it should fit over the fleece jacket when a windbreaker is needed.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Ed Stafford did several brilliant videos and had nawt but his birthday suit.

All a matter of your comfort and skill level.

Knowledge+practice+attitude - age-wisdom-willing-fitness-comfort.

I saw this awhile ago, some of his other videos are really interesting as well....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE