Hot tenting do's & dont's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aaron.T

Sep 2, 2018
Somerset
I'm aware we still have very nice weather at the moment. However, the cold nights will soon be upon us. So I have decided I am going to plan my first hot tent, over night solo trip.

So I think I am going to buy the polish laavu as it is inexpensive and good size for just myself.

So my questions would be are there any other tents that may be better for hot tenting whilst keeping weight low and does anybody have any advice, hints or tips on winter hot tenting for me.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Your ventilation must be 100% perfect as the CO can kill you.

Imho to get a warm tent, the stove must be fed and taken care of basically all the time.
Nice and cozy when you go to bed, freezing cold 5 minutes after the fire has gone out.

If I wanted to try with an open fire ( no stove and chimney) I would like hands on lessons.
No Youtube. No internet. Several members here are well experienced instructors.

Sorry if I sound negative,, but a mistake here can kill you.

Aaron.T

Sep 2, 2018
Somerset
Your ventilation must be 100% perfect as the CO can kill you.

Imho to get a warm tent, the stove must be fed and taken care of basically all the time.
Nice and cozy when you go to bed, freezing cold 5 minutes after the fire has gone out.

If I wanted to try with an open fire ( no stove and chimney) I would like hands on lessons.
No Youtube. No internet. Several members here are well experienced instructors.

Sorry if I sound negative,, but a mistake here can kill you.
Yea I'm aware of the gasses and I will have a co detector with me. With the lavvu tent you can open both arm holes (the tent is 2 military ponchos buttoned together) and adjustvtje door as needed.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, you will crate a draft that way, which is good.
But then you suck away the heat too. Heat goes up as you know.

You will still wake up a few minutes after the fire is out.

There are better ways to heat up a shelter, with a fire placed outside the shelter. Large logs, slow fire, a wellbuilt one lasts the whole night.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yes you can put a stove in the Polish lavvu, al be it a small one as the size is the issue not taking up all the footprint, BUT, it's not just a case of bang it in, you will need to make a stove jack and sew that in or you could have it exit some other way as long as the flue was protected from the material, there are a few youtube videos out there, does it have to be a Polish lavvu ?

Aaron.T

Sep 2, 2018
Somerset
Yes you can put a stove in the Polish lavvu, al be it a small one as the size is the issue not taking up all the footprint, BUT, it's not just a case of bang it in, you will need to make a stove jack and sew that in or you could have it exit some other way as long as the flue was protected from the material, there are a few youtube videos out there, does it have to be a Polish lavvu ?
Maybe I should have put more details in the post (my bad). However, I am aware of the details such as keeping the flu away from the material and to keep the CO monitored etc. It does not have to be a lavvu, that is just one of the tents that looks a good size, not too heavy and is very cost effective. I am open to any suggestions on other tents/shelters. I appreciate the reply.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wile back a friend had a small stove setup in the polish lavu type shelter. It was fun but not very practical. There was very little room with the stove in place and I couldn't help thinking alls you would have to do is roll over in the wrong direction and at best ruined kit at worst..

I suppose it depends on how far you are going to have to carry it all. If not far then go for something bigger but then you are into £££ for Belltents and the like.

Reactions: Aaron.T

Aaron.T

Sep 2, 2018
Somerset
How about using hot rocks.
Thanks for the message but I'm certain I want to give hit tenting a go. As a military man I'm used to sleeping under the stars freezing my butt off so want a bit of luxury lol.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd use the excuse to buy a multi-layer sleeping bag system for a solo tent.
Two single burner petrol cook stoves for cold starts = they will heat the tent.
Open the flap so CO isn't an issue.

I've grown up with the assumption that a hot tent is base camp.
Start now. Beginning of September. Maybe T'storm this afternoon and maybe frost tonight.
We talk when I drop by, end of October.

This is living:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10698/woods-deluxe-prospector-tents

Reactions: Janne

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Few more quid but look at the larger hex peak (f6?) Tents on backpackinglight.com

Far far more practical shelter than a polish lavvu

Reactions: Aaron.T

Aaron.T

Sep 2, 2018
Somerset
OK, a curve ball, we're all harping on about the shelter, what stove are you looking at, does it have to be a woodburning stove ? I've been looking at these for a while now....

https://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/origo-heat-heater-meths-p-6864.html

Can be had cheaper if you look around.
I feel like I'm getting way more than I bargained for on this post lol. However, it does not have to be a wood stove at all. I already have the g-stove and was going to use that. But I am up for looking at different alternitaves. I like trying out new kit.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Reactions: bopdude

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE