Holiday Foods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We've been discussing some Thanksgiving desserts in another thread. I thought it might be a good time of year to start a thread about Christmas dishes and recipes. Please share your favorites, especially ones that stir your better childhood memories. Main dishes, side dishes, and desserts. Share both the recipes and any stories about why they bring back good memories.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
This is an oldie but a goodie.
Quite decent evidence that this is a recipe which came back from the Yukon Klondike gold rush of 1896 - 1899.
But, my great grandfather's recipe lives on in my family, as do all the sacks of gold nuggets.
Yeah, the old guy scored well.

Sugar cookies ( learn to be bilingual if this doesn't ring your bell.)
1/2C lard
1C white sugar
1 egg (2 egg yolks)
1 tbs cream
1/2 tsp each vanilla, and salt and baking powder
2C sifted flour
>Cream the shortening with the sugar. Add the wet ingredients.
>Add the dry ingredients. Smash everything together.
Roll into a log, wrap and chill 24 hrs.
Cut as 1/4" slice and bake 14-15 mins @350F

It is entirely clear that the people who made the most money in the gold rushes, anywhere,
were the people who supplied the prospectors.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
One of my favorite memories is of my Grandmother's Pecan Divinity. It was/is common here to spread various treats such as candies, cookies, etc. around the house prior to Christmas for everybody to snack on. My Grandmother made her Divinity every year using the pecans from our trees. I never got her recipe (although there are several online) and it was an aptly named confection that looked like this:
IMG_1237.jpg

I miss it every Christmas and I'll always think of my Grandmother as well as my childhood whenever I do find some.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Quite decent evidence that this is a recipe which came back from the Yukon Klondike gold rush of 1896 - 1899
that most BCUK members could care less about.

I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand what you mean that most of the members on the forum couldn't care less about the Klondike gold rush.

Care to explain what you mean by that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE