HILLTREK VENTILE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've seen on social media that Hilltrek are unveiling their new Ventile smock this weekend at the Dundee Mountain Film Festival. They're at the show all Fri and Sat. I was in email conversation earlier in the year and discussing a custom double ventile smock similar to the Westwinds arctic smock. I don't know if it's that or something else but I'm hoping. I'll try to get across and if I do I'll gather pics.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Rivetting eh? I just ordered a Talorc ... I'll be interested to see what this new one looks like. Hilltrek are a continuing drain on my resources :):)

What is the Mountain Film Festival?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I remember the Chockheads on the ARK ROYAL wearing these and not rating them that highly. Most waxed them in order to improve the waterproofing.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Never liked ventile myself. Single layers of it still let dampness in and it goes very stiff when soaked. Heavy too.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, it takes a while to get the hang of, but if you think of it as what it is - i.e. windproof cotton with a DWR on it (and not an inadequate organic GoreTex) - it makes liking it a lot easier :lol:

It is quiet and comfortingly comfy, unutterably good in dry snow. A double layer will keep you dry in the worst weather and a single layer makes a warmish windshirt in the drizzle, or a rather dashing Harrington. But unless you a have a luxuriously appointed base it isn't really camping kit.

Rorschach

May 22, 2018
Finland
Ventile is way better than any membrane stuff. I've been let down by membrane garments in more ways than I care to count. Courses for horses of course but for my uses membranes are rubbish.

I'll be interested to hear about this new Hilltrek.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ventile is way better than any membrane stuff. I've been let down by membrane garments in more ways than I care to count. Courses for horses of course but for my uses membranes are rubbish.
That is pretty much my experience too.
I have eliminated membrane waterproof from my outfit with Ventile being my "go to" water resistant fabric with a solid poncho (I am thinking of making a Ventile one) for use if it is sheeting down.
I have used Ventile for the past 40 odd years and it has yet to let me down - but my expectations are realistic!
Membrane waterproofs have constantly let me down - starting with the 2 tone Berghaus I bought 40 years ago (one of the first Goretex garments sold in Britain) and ranging across the years, from various manufacturers and at various prices.
I have used Ventile on my motorbikes, in the mountains, in the woods, in snow, rain, wind, and even in good weather: used in a "water management" layered system Ventile is unbeaten in serving my needs.
These days I rarely get into the hills but spend a lot of time in the woods and find Ventile ideal - to the extent that I have bought 10 meters of the stuff and am in the process of making trousers, smock etc to my own designs, to fit my personal taste/needs/desires in the way of features.
Sometimes commercial manufacturers get the design almost right - but there is nothing quite like having custom kit:)
Hilltrek have some excellent designs and I am hoping the new one will be another winner!

Rorschach

May 22, 2018
Finland
That is pretty much my experience too.
I have eliminated membrane waterproof from my outfit with Ventile being my "go to" water resistant fabric with a solid poncho (I am thinking of making a Ventile one) for use if it is sheeting down.
I have used Ventile for the past 40 odd years and it has yet to let me down - but my expectations are realistic!
Membrane waterproofs have constantly let me down - starting with the 2 tone Berghaus I bought 40 years ago (one of the first Goretex garments sold in Britain) and ranging across the years, from various manufacturers and at various prices.
I have used Ventile on my motorbikes, in the mountains, in the woods, in snow, rain, wind, and even in good weather: used in a "water management" layered system Ventile is unbeaten in serving my needs.
These days I rarely get into the hills but spend a lot of time in the woods and find Ventile ideal - to the extent that I have bought 10 meters of the stuff and am in the process of making trousers, smock etc to my own designs, to fit my personal taste/needs/desires in the way of features.
Sometimes commercial manufacturers get the design almost right - but there is nothing quite like having custom kit:)
Hilltrek have some excellent designs and I am hoping the new one will be another winner!

Great minds think alike :) Me too, no more membrane jackets. I've also completely ditched fleece in favor of merino. It feels better and performs better too. Another large minus regarding both membrane and fleece garments is that they are so unfriendly to the environment. Both in terms of using oil to manufacture them and as being sources of microplastic that ends up plaguing aquatic systems and even within our very cells! Adding in the way longer life-expectancy of a ventile garment compared to a membrane one, I think it is abundantly clear what is the choice for the environmentally conscious among us. The inherent problems in cotton production are clear too, but not as severe.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The plastics issues are a recent addition to my reasons for liking Ventile - and for ditching fleece for wool (my "fleeces" are now all made from old blankets - Merino when I can find them!) the issues around cotton production are bad - but - as you say - not as bad as around plastics!

Reactions: Rorschach

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'll be interested to see their new offering. I have a Braemar smock that must be well over a decade old that's still going strong, and last year I splurged and got myself a Cuachan double ventile smock. Expensive but an investment piece.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE