Hawthorn fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
In one of Rays videos, he uses hawthorn thorns in a long lining setup to fish for flounder.

I've watched the video several times, and fettled with some hemp cord and hawthorns, but can't seem to get my head round it.

The basic idea seems to rely on the cord being twisted such that it has a loop at the end. Can anyone explain how to get the cord in this position so I can insert the hawthorns?

[video=youtube;e-eMZkmuASg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-eMZkmuASg[/video]

Cheers

J

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you watch some videos of cordage making you'll find that the loop is an integral part when you first start to twist the material into cordage.

You basically start twisting the material until you have a length tightly twisted under tension. You then release the tension and it should naturally form a loop and twist around itself leaving you with 2 tails which you use to twist separately for the cordage.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Theres the roll it on your thigh method, the few times Ive tried this, mine dont end up looking too good.
Or using your fingers.

This guy describes it well: [from about 6:20 in.]

[video=youtube;aYV-GClIAYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYV-GClIAYM[/video]

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The easiest way to ‘practice’ it is with a piece of single strand cordage (I know it’s a cheat but actually nylon fishing line is perfect for practice). Hold a piece 18” long between the index finger and thumb of both hands with about a 6” gap between the hands, roll one thumb up and the other thumb down……the line should begin to twist at mid-point between the hands, the initial loop is ‘reasonably self-tightening’ (Ray shows on the video how to put the thorn in a second time higher up the line above the loop) a simple knot at the opposite end from the loop should stop it all unravelling. It does to an extent rely on the fish taking the ‘hook’ down completely so there is little or no ‘play’ on the line once ‘hooked’ but it does certainly work (as is proved by the fact that it is a method that is still used after several hundred years)…. One thing I will add though assuming it is not being done in a genuine survival situation, be visible while you wait for the tide to cover the ‘hooks’, this stops seabirds that like to eat the bait from picking it up and suffering the same fate at the fish.

DB

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Here's an opportunity to toot my own horn, I was filmed in a series of short videos on how to do stone age technologies for school children and did one on cordage making! Might not be as good as the above posted one but oh well :) I prefer the fingers one to the thigh method as I find it wraps a bit tighter.

https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/braiding-and-cordage

Hey youre famous! Nice presentation Cory! Well done. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE