Hand lines....again....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
Has anyone come up with the definitive answer to the legality of using hand lines on freshwater? I've searched in vain.
The Salmon and fresh water fisheries act 1975 (last amended 2013) only mentions unattended lines, set lines, or bank to bank fixed lines, crosslines, no mention of hand lines.
And at least for my region there's nothing in the EA regional fishing rules. And my rod licence does'nt mention anything other than rods. In the EA Crayfish licence guide lines there's no mention of using 'string and bacon' or crabline type hand lines for taking non native crayfish, just trapping and netting
I can imagine it would be hard to get permission, a day ticket, or membership of a fishing club to hand line as its not sporting but what is the legal situation.
I'm probably missing some important national law and know there will be restrictions in some bylaws, but can anyone come up with a simple answer?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I believe it's illegal because, if I remember correctly, "Fishing by means other than that of a rod and line" is not allowed on freshwater. However, I cannot find a) the definition of what a rod is and b) a definition of how long/short a rod can be. Consequently, it's not difficult to come up with 'contraptions' that can be modified in the field to satisfy the legal requirement as I understand it. That has been my intended argument but I've never actually had to use it :)

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
Thats what I had heard and has always been my response to enquiries about hobo reels and hand lines. But I cant find a law that mentions anything other than set lines and cross lines which have a specific definition. Also historically hand lines were used with ringed rods instead of reels, poles and forked casting sticks. Thick natural fibre line 'flaked' on the ground could be cast a long way.
I may email the EA for clarification as reading the existing legislation is confusing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE