Ground sheet fabric?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm a little surprised at the answers you're getting; that would be a last resort for me. I have used builders tarps for all sorts of things but wouldn't use one for a ground sheet; they're noisy, slippery, and, to be honest, don't last very long when they're being scuffed about. But, a lot of the groundsheets that come with cheap tents these days are made from what looks like exactly the same stuff.

I have had a couple of these and I'm very pleased with them (well they do the job I need):

https://www.towsure.com/waterproof-groundsheet

They are on offer and come in different sizes.

Reactions: bbdave

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I'm a little surprised at the answers you're getting; that would be a last resort for me. I have used builders tarps for all sorts of things but wouldn't use one for a ground sheet; they're noisy, slippery, and, to be honest, don't last very long when they're being scuffed about. But, a lot of the groundsheets that come with cheap tents these days are made from what looks like exactly the same stuff.

I have had a couple of these and I'm very pleased with them (well they do the job I need):

https://www.towsure.com/waterproof-groundsheet

They are on offer and come in different sizes.

That looks the kind of stuff I'm not to fussed on weight as I will mainly be canoe camping.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
We often use waterproof picnic blankets on top of something cheap and thin, like builder's tarp. Nice under foot for sleeping / sitting areas, and make do elsewhere. Don't use anything where wet kit, boots, firewood etc is stored.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Take a look at the British Army IPK Sheet. IPK stands for Individual Protection Kit (I think!) and is used to build quick shelters. In a nutshell it's a really robust and waterproof sheet that you can pick up for about a fiver and modify to suit your needs. It's pretty large as well (I can't remember the specifics) and comparable in size to a basha.

Comes in bushcraft green too!

I have one that I've cut down as a small groundsheet to go under my bivi bag and I used another part as a foot mat when hammocking

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
What purpose is the groundsheet to serve? Do you want it to be waterproof or not? Will you be using a bivvy bag? When you say "lavuu" are you referring to a Polish shelter half? Do you want a "bathtub" type groundsheet? What's your budget?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Take a look at the British Army IPK Sheet. IPK stands for Individual Protection Kit (I think!) and is used to build quick shelters. In a nutshell it's a really robust and waterproof sheet that you can pick up for about a fiver and modify to suit your needs. It's pretty large as well (I can't remember the specifics) and comparable in size to a basha.

Comes in bushcraft green too!

I have one that I've cut down as a small groundsheet to go under my bivi bag and I used another part as a foot mat when hammocking

I believe the IPK is designed to be used as a means of making a fallout shelter. You dig a hole/trench big enough to get into, lace the nylon cord over the top using the pegs, then lay the sheet on the top and shovel earth on that (I can't remember but I think it said at least a foot deep).

The trouble with the IPK (I've seen it call PPK - Personal Protection Kit in some places) is that it's like trying to sleep on Teflon; if there's the slightest slope on the ground your sleeping back will slide all the way down - it really is very slippery. I only use mine as a protection sheet underneath my tent groundsheet (if I'm not backpacking).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Loooong time ago, before plastic tarps were cheap and easily available, we used oiled cloth. Like waxed canvas. It worked well, seemed really robust, wiped and folded up tidily, heavy though. We only really used a bit under, and a bit wider than, each sleeping bag, not so much a whole floor covering. It was just a dry place to have a sit down and sleep, with a scrap to put your boots and rucksack on, not a whole carpet type thing. Some folks used rubberised ones, like the old airbeds, too.

M

Reactions: norfolknun

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I must have been in my 20's before I learned that you can buy a tent with no floor.
Down under, I believed that the floor in my tent kept out the snakes, lizards, spiders and bull ants.
We were boat camping as a family. Dad had a 2' x 3' piece of carpet in front of the tent (Woods 9' x 12') door.
I don't mind the noisy builder's tarps. Anything waterproof will do.
Chances are, I'll step on a conifer twig in the first 5 minutes and hole the thing, anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE