Green waxing an Endicott smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I don't know for sure, but I guess that your smock needs a inner liner as well, otherwise the waxed tissue might wear very uncomfortably?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Has anybody done this ? If so, is it working? And..... once you rubbed in greenwax, do you iron it?
TIA

What do you mean by an "Endicott" smock?

IIRC they sell far eastern made copies of a Belgian smock and Swedish snow smocks died OG. I have one of each.

I have waxed the snow smock (IIRC I just used beeswax and a hairdryer), and it is now a tough, showerproof, thorn resistant top for hedge work and bramble bashing. Unlined so best with a wool or fleece layer underneath. I guess the same would apply to the Belgian pattern smock.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have one of them green Swedish smocks .. terrific it is. Got it maybe 8 - 10 years ago from classifieds somewhere, I think. Tough as boots and warm. It is just has a big belly pocket. I have seen them with to bulgy pockets, which I rather fancy.

Also this: https://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Swedish_Army/Swedish_Snow_Smock/2110/2917.html

Anyone know anything about this. Is it a custom job?

On the subject of lining, Bert. You might be right. Barbours are lined. On the other hand a lot of Filson's jackets aren't. And, on the other other hand, Barbour wax is different in composition to Greenland wax, runnier, more penetrating and perhaps more likely to stain clothes.

Last edited:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I have one of them green Swedish smocks .. terrific it is. Got it maybe 8 - 10 years ago from classifieds somewhere, I think. Tough as boots and warm. It is just has a big belly pocket. I have seen them with to bulgy pockets, which I rather fancy.

Also this: https://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Swedish_Army/Swedish_Snow_Smock/2110/2917.html

Anyone know anything about this. Is it a custom job?

On the subject of lining, Bert. You might be right. Barbours are lined. On the other hand a lot of Filson's jackets aren't. And, on the other other hand, Barbour wax is different in composition to Greenland wax, runnier, more penetrating and perhaps more likely to stain clothes.

Well, it's not really about staining underlaying clothing that I was worried about, I had a faux barbour jacket for years, got it already secondhand, and it had a cotton liner in it, It was a working jacket, but I wore it untill the holes were so big that you couldn't call it a jacket no more! I loved that thing! so soft and comfy!, while I think that if you just wax a smock ( had the same Idea also.) the waxed tissue on your skin will not be pleasant.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
well, I would say: do a test, look if you have a spare piece of tissue (the same as you coat) wax it with the product of your choice, and look how it feels on the bare skin, if you don't like that, maybe you know a seamstress who can make a lining in your coat? just a couple of idea's.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Not sure how useful this is. But you can see pretty quick what he's up to and thee is a bit of patter in the comments about how the nikwax (tent and gear solarproof) darkens the fabric

Personally, I think he's putting too much on ... but fat lot of value my opinion is as I have never used this stuff :lol::)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE