Good stuff of the day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I wrote myself a note a while ago to create this thread so that we can tell each other of the good things that happen in our days. I know it might seem a bit weird to some but I figure that there's enough negative stuff in our lives that's sometimes hard to see past. So, a thread for positive stuff, good deeds, happy occurrences, people helping us and us helping them, good news and all that.

I for one would like to hear some good stuff in our lives...

Reactions: Swallow

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I taught a young lad to carveba spoon for the first time today. He started out being too cool to join in. That was just his fear of failure preventing him from trying.

We started slowly drawing some spoon profiles on a piece of cherry.

Suddenly the artist in him took over and he could visualise the spoon within.

Together we whittled away the rough edges until a really rather attractive spoon emerged from the billet.

The first thing this young lad has ever made and seeing the pride in his eyes made my day.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Good idea Tony, as you say, it's easy to forget the simple things that make us grateful. It doesn't matter how trivial of small the "good stuff".

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great idea Tony.
Today - bumping into an old friend/colleague that I haven't seen for years and having a chat. Then a lady with a full trolley asking me if I would like to go in front of here at the check-out with my bottle of whiskey and standing chatting to her - sometimes just talking to people, friends or strangers, can really change the mood of the day!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've been involved in setting up a "good neighbour" scheme in three local villages. I'm on my first duty week as coordinator which involves an unfamiliar computer set up.

The patience of my fellow volunteers with my computer inadequacy is heartwarming. It is also good to know that I live amongst so many people willing to help neighbours.

I get the same sort of vibes from Bushcraft UK members.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My friend and neighbour has a new grandson; he's a little three year old that her son and his wife have just adopted. He was never abused in his birth mother's care, she has very real problems, just he was rather forgotten and neglected, and was taken into foster care several times. He now has Mum and Dad and two big sisters, and a Granny and Grandpa, and cousins....and his new Granny is so very pleased and showing everyone photos of her grandchildren, and Grandpa is ecstatic, finally a boy to take fishing :D
His last foster carers say they're getting a lovely wee boy, a really nice child, and his new family think they're the lucky ones, while I think he's a very lucky little boy to find such a truly caring forever family.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My friend and neighbour has a new grandson; he's a little three year old that her son and his wife have just adopted. He was never abused in his birth mother's care, she has very real problems, just he was rather forgotten and neglected, and was taken into foster care several times. He now has Mum and Dad and two big sisters, and a Granny and Grandpa, and cousins....and his new Granny is so very pleased and showing everyone photos of her grandchildren, and Grandpa is ecstatic, finally a boy to take fishing :D
His last foster carers say they're getting a lovely wee boy, a really nice child, and his new family think they're the lucky ones, while I think he's a very lucky little boy to find such a truly caring forever family.

Now that's good news! :)
Made me feel all warm inside reading it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's cool Matt, very cool. Thanks to all of you for posting, this is going to be a great thread.

Last night while eating dinner my kids (4 girls of 8, 10, 13, 17, my lad's at Uni) were trying to work out a way of expressing their gratitude to people that have helped them this year, so we spent the whole evening writing out lists of people they were grateful to and why, then the plan is to write notes to express their gratitude and bake some cookies to go with the notes and then we'll spend a couple of evenings driving around and dropping them off or posting them etc. I love my kids.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
i passed my driving test today. after years of not being able to learn due to medical reasons, then it being financial, im glad to finally be in a position to get a car and some freedom. This will mean more camping trips, and more markets/events for my work :)

Congrats mate, it does open up the world, I really enjoy driving. :drive:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Congratulations Hamish, I'm sure the driving will open up opportunities for you that you haven't even thought of yet; well done sir :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
i passed my driving test today. after years of not being able to learn due to medical reasons, then it being financial, im glad to finally be in a position to get a car and some freedom. This will mean more camping trips, and more markets/events for my work :)

:240::red: goodjob mate, well worth the effort.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Toddys and Hamish`s news really. Its a shame there are not more adopters.

As for me, I had my dental check up today and it was fine, even with X rays.

(I had a lot of tooth problems when young...and was terrified of the dentist.)

(If you ever have wisdom tooth problems, make sure the dentist doesnt mess around and they send you off to have them all out...under general.)

(And I have crowding problems...Even with no wisdom teeth. I am very glad to live today.)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
OT:
Tengu, as somebody that takes out 99.99% of wisdom teeth myself, with respect, I do not agree.
General anesthetic carries some risks. From tiny hardly perceivable brain damage to the worst, death.
Yes, very small risk, but still.
Also to take out all four at the same time is usually fine, but for each lower tooth there is about 15% risk of infection in the socket. If both are taken out at the same time, this risk increases a bit, as when you eat food can get impacted into the socket and cause the infection.

Trust me, to get an bilateral infection is no fun!

It is beneficial for the dental surgeon to take out all four, efficient time and money wise.

I get this request (to take out all 4 in one go) but try to talk the patients to do one side at a time. Under local.

No patient so far has told me they regretted this.

Back to topic:

Tengu, congratulations to your 'all clear' exam!
I wish you have many of those!

Congratulations Dreadhead, to your drivers license! It is a wonderful feeling you must have now!

The other contributors - some of them brought a tear to my eyes!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The idea of having teeth out under local makes my hands shake.

It took me years to even have fillings done; You will understand for that reason I have missing teeth, and only then because a friend I didnt dare look scared with insisted on comming and sitting with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE