Going to Avimore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
To their Scandanavian Village which I have heard is architectually unthrilling.

And I havent found much to see in the local area.

or stuff for Dad...Dad is easy to please, -give him something to poke his camera at and he is happy.

We plan a trip to the Crannog centre (he went last year and was delighted...meanwhile I had Experimental and Experiental archaeology envy...)

Any suggestions? The Symbol stones seem to be all hither and yon and not in convenient locales.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
It’s a fair drive betwix Crannog and Aviemore but if you’re ok with running the A9 gauntlet multiple times then just beware all the average speed cameras. We’re hoping to visit Crannog in a few weeks time when we are down south. Might manage to bump into Hamish :)

As for Aviemore it depends on what you want to do... obviously loads of walking around the area and/or Rothiemurchus forest. Wild camping? There’s fishing (day tickets). Boats to hire. Clay shooting. Reindeer. Bike hire. Cairngorms railway. Swimming in the lochs. Highland wildlife park is also nearby.

If you have young children then there’s a children’s play centre at the Hilton hotel and adventure park at Coylumbridge.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Lot of delays, 12 hour journey.

There seems to be lots of distilleries and golf here and not much else.

I am wondering if the Wildcat Experience involves getting mauled. (Looks hopeful)

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
And I havent found much to see in the local area.

:O_O:
You are next to the Cairngorms! And the river Spey. Birch and pine forests on your doorstep. Plenty to occupy a bushcrafter I would have thought? Buy an OS map take it from there.

Just avoid the railway, it's a total travesty.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Don't get excited by the wild cat experience!

The Highland Folk Museum would be right up your street, great place and free to get in, donations if you like it.

The beach at Finhorn's really nice, chance of seeing some seal's. dolphins at Channory point on the Black Isle, not far out of Inverness. Also Fort George if your into military history, Loch Ness cruises.
Plenty of walking and wildlife, steam train trip from Aviemore.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Rothiemurchus estate is great for walking cycling, absorbing the land written in Elizabeth Grants memoirs. Near the loch is Norwegian lodge a replacement building to the wartime huts used by the Linge company. There is a website for the estate highlighting stuff to do, majority of the walks are mine friendly too.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Wildcat Experience today!

I dont know whether to be charmed or to sigh over a village scraping the bottom of the tourist barrel. I suspect that `real` wildcats would regard Newtonmore as too boring...

The Hightland Folk museum is on the list. They have a great website and a good collection of Horn.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The Crannog centre is awesome! I name dropped shamelessly though tried to leave my Archaeologists hat off. (Am busy on more important leisure other days) They managed to do Fire by friction in spite of the damp. (Some day I shall learn this skill, and not have to go next door like many people in ther past did.) Highly reccomended.

We had a `snack` meal at the `Chechek` Persian-Mediterranian resteraunt in the centre of Aberfeldy, just opposite the funky cast iron fountain. It was a big snack and really super service, -do go in if you are in the area. They do the usual pizza, doner kerbabs, assorted dishes and baked potatoes. Also Persian tea (me and Dad both loved this) and Turkish coffee. (Not my thing but I know some of you like it)

Just dont go expecting the snacks to be, well, snack sized.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE