Going fishing in the morning so made this...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I picked up a smallish seagull feather today and as I'm off to cast a line in the morning I though I'd see how simply and quickly I could make a float to use.

I know it's basic but that was the idea really, total making time from start to finish, including drying time was 15 minutes, quite chuffed actually
icon_e_smile.gif

attachment.php

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 183

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Nice post, great to see the youngster with a big smile on his face, know the feeling as I have fished ever since I was able stand upright on my legs too. Feathers make wonderful floats, for years I have made floats from various birds feathers from crows to geese and even swans, you can get loads of goose feathers during their moult. --- if you cut the tip off a feather it will slip over the top of another feather, you can then paint the individual tips different colours, then when you place your float on the fishing line you can interchange the different coloured tips for suitability to match the different light conditions on the water without having to change the actual float itself. Also if you make the tips with different lengths you can make your float longer by just changing the length of tip you push onto the float (and of course if you need a float that takes more shot the same rule applies), if you keep some cut tips clear and don’t paint them then you can insert one of those glow lights into the tip then push it over the top of your float for night fishing. A starlight (glow light) will fit inside the top of a canada goose feather.

15b19f27-bf7f-482f-b664-7f6f32a8baf5.jpg

Cut the top off some feathers to make interchangeable tips to push over the top of your float, paint different colours for different light conditions, also useful when you want to extent the length or bouyancy of your float, keep some tips clear for inserting a starlight/glowlight for night fishing. ATB.
cbf2bcd4-6f03-4846-b937-eceded606ede.jpg

860cf3f5-783e-4f62-a72c-5bfca386f543.jpg

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Here's the big brother....

it IS big and it IS simple but it should cast a long way :) ( that's 13" long )

attachment.php

Attachments

• float big.jpg
    float big.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"We're gonna need a bigger boat" :D

Nice looking floats and your lad looks rightfully chuffed with himself.
Cheers for sharing.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE