Frozen rabbit hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Does anyone know for how long rabbit hide/fur can stay frozen before it needs to be taken out and tanned? Is tanned even the correct english word for it?
I have a few in the freezer from this summer, because I didn´t have time to finish them at the time. This summer´s been crazy and now I fear that I might be too late.
I can always give them away as bait, but I would love to give it a go with the tanning.

Kanin1 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If stored in vacuum, years.
If not in vacuum, the freezing will dry them out.
Yes, tanning is the correct term ( says the foreigner).

A beter way to store them is to scrape them clean, rub in fine salt onto the 'meat side' and dry.

But, if you live in a dry climate like you do in Norway, just drying is fine. They will last for years.

How do you cook rabbit?

I used to remove the rear legs, debone and make Schnitzels.
The rest I used to make into a stew / casserole.

Stew - red wine, bay leaf, black pepper corns, Carrot, Onion, Garlic. Steamed potatoes. Beer.

As the meat is a bit sweeter than hare, I prefer a darker beer, like yours Haakon ( forgot which brewery, Ringnes??)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The skins should be OK frozen if you can thaw and process them this winter.
Remember that trappers after fur bearing animals may find them in traps,
dead & frozen, by the time they get to 'run' their trapline.

I just bought 8 lbs / 3.5? kg ripe plums for plum sauce. Good with rabbit.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Ok, that´s good news! Then I still have some time left :) Thank you!

How I cook rabbit? Not in a particularly impressive way, haha! I make a stew or I slow cook them in a pan under a lid, with lots of fat since it´s so lean, and seasoning of course.
I´m a big fan of all sorts of stews really, since I can leave them to cook whilst I work, or sit here on BCUK ;)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
As the meat is a bit sweeter than hare, I prefer a darker beer, like yours Haakon ( forgot which brewery, Ringnes??)

Yes, It is Ringnes that has the Haakon. Have you tried Aass Bayerøl? I hear several "beer friends" give praise to it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE