Fox In Eagles Shadow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Watching the wing power, that's quite a load. Just because you killed it doesn't mean I won't try to take it.
Big game hunters here face the same threat from local wolf packs. Gunshots mean gut piles.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Watching the wing power, that's quite a load. Just because you killed it doesn't mean I won't try to take it.
Big game hunters here face the same threat from local wolf packs. Gunshots mean gut piles.
I guess you have to hold them off or rush to take your share? I kind of like that if I must kill I'm not the only thing that gets to eat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Never get any notion about burying anything dead or the least bit foody.
Bear Spray (Capsicain) is nothing more than hot sauce = people & food.
There is a profound urgency to recover avalanche victims before the wolves dig them up.
Clearly, that has to be balanced against safety concerns for the SAR teams. The wolves are still there.

Besides the field dressing chore, there's more than one reason to hunt with a partner.

That eagle on San Juan, WA. Tagging studies show that when the west coast salmon runs are on in the autumn,
eagles do in fact fly across the continent from New York and New Hampshire for the feast.
You might see 50 of them at a time, sitting in a river bottom cottonwood.
They will steal fish from each other. I stay at a ranch where I can watch that from the house deck.
Often the fish-catcher will try to fly away, maybe a mile, to eat in peace.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Never get any notion about burying anything dead or the least bit foody.
Bear Spray (Capsicain) is nothing more than hot sauce = people & food.
There is a profound urgency to recover avalanche victims before the wolves dig them up.
Clearly, that has to be balanced against safety concerns for the SAR teams. The wolves are still there.

Besides the field dressing chore, there's more than one reason to hunt with a partner.

That eagle on San Juan, WA. Tagging studies show that when the west coast salmon runs are on in the autumn,
eagles do in fact fly across the continent from New York and New Hampshire for the feast.
You might see 50 of them at a time, sitting in a river bottom cottonwood.
They will steal fish from each other. I stay at a ranch where I can watch that from the house deck.
Often the fish-catcher will try to fly away, maybe a mile, to eat in peace.
Cant say I'm not jealous, seeing eagle's dance the sky must be quite some thing to behold.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Locally, we would have to skip out of the village, maybe 30 minutes, to watch the eagles on a spawning run of a local river.
Take lunch and a lawn chair, maybe binos and a spotting scope (to look for Mountain Sheep & Mountain Goats.)
There's usually far more screeching and screaming than actual fighting over fish.
But you're right, all the fuss and bother takes place in mid-air.
They mostly sit in the big cottonwood trees and watch for opportunity. Ho-hum. Yawn.
The sockeye are all colored up so the prey are easy to see.
First run here isn't until mid August, the fish have already done most of a thousand miles up the Fraser from Vancouver.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd do that in a minute. Sea eagles. At least you can get them to do something.
Our Bald Eagles spend 23 hours and 45 minutes of every day sitting in a tree.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's never more than maybe 1/2 a cup at a time.
About the same as white pelicans, actually.
Yes, you are allowed to use the dunny in mid flight.

Don't feed wildlife here, big or little. Sit on your hands and watch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE