Forging a neck knife with antler handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Many years ago I made my first neck knife, from a piece of coil spring for trucks.
That’s the top one in the picture below.
The shape was perfect and was very comfortable in the hand, except that it was very heavy.
No wonder with a spine thickness of 8mm

Beginning 2014 I made a new neck knife, which was a small copy of the bigger knife which I made at the same time, and still use till this day.
That’s the middle one in the picture.
I never used it much as it was not that comfortable as the previous one, and the sheath was not holding it well.

Today I made a new neck knife, that lays better in the hand, is much less weight, and looks even good in my opinion 🙂
I forged it from an old file, and for the handle a piece of antler.
Below is the video of how I made it.
Now I have to make a sheath for it, but didn’t decide if I will use kydex or leather.

All 3 neck knives together, the top one is 123 gram, second 75 gram, and last one 47 gram.
neckknife1.jpg

neckknife2.jpg

This new one is 47 gram, handle length of 9 cm, and a blade length of 6 cm, and thickness of 3.5mm.
neckknife3.jpg

neckknife4.jpg

The making of:

https://youtu.be/R75CMJHO_oc

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Other than a bread knife, those three would do just about everything in my kitchen.
The size, the shape, the different thicknesses. Thickest is a bone cleaver!
Good design.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE