Folding Firebox Stove - First Impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I recently treated myself to a Firebox Stove and got out with it for the first time today.

So far I’m really pleased with it - it’s lightweight, easy to set up (especially with cold fingers).

c24e7549203adc2136756808036346d4.jpg

It’s got a nice big top opening so you can easily get your lit tinder in without it going out or scraping your hands.

b2f121743370ae654d3a67c392af35e5.jpg

It burns well and uses a little less fuel than an open fire.
There is a side port to load in small branches and large twigs and there is still plenty of space to top load.

3fb0a0cab77cd987a881c744caaf249d.jpg

The “firesticks” which come with the stove can be inserted in a multitude of ways for different sized pots and pans.
I went for a simple option of slotting them in just above the top to rest my pathfinder cup to boil some water for a coffee.

416a687615d5f204c8256a66bae04a8a.jpg

It burns down pretty quick when you leave it alone and if I had been staying for any more than a coffee I would have needed to prep a lot more wood in advance or be running back and forth with the more readily small sticks.

For stainless if cools pretty quickly letting you pack up and be on the move.

My goal is to get out more this year and I think this Stove will make a good excuse to get out.
Next plan is to find a nice spot for an afternoon and use the stove to cook lunch and have a brew.

Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Herman30
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Thanks for the write up. I've been thinking of getting one but have been unsure if going for a bushbox or a cheaper knock off to see if I get on with it.
Which make/model is this?

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks for the write up. I've been thinking of getting one but have been unsure if going for a bushbox or a cheaper knock off to see if I get on with it.
Which make/model is this?

Gen 2 5” model.

I’d definitely say it is worth it and the firesticks allow for a lot of variations on how to use it.
There’s even some I’m never likely to use but think I am going to give them a go just once to see how they perform.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks for the write-up, they're great looking stoves. To be honest, I think the only thing that goes against them is the weight but none the less, it's a nice way of keeping a contained fire.

I like using the wood burners when on solo camps as you don't always need to have a big open fire (even in winter) and it makes the morning clean up considerably easier. I have been using, and enjoying, the honey stove up until now but have been very tempted by the firebox.....must resist!!

Reactions: Hammock Hamster
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks for the write-up, they're great looking stoves. To be honest, I think the only thing that goes against them is the weight but none the less, it's a nice way of keeping a contained fire.

I like using the wood burners when on solo camps as you don't always need to have a big open fire (even in winter) and it makes the morning clean up considerably easier. I have been using, and enjoying, the honey stove up until now but have been very tempted by the firebox.....must resist!!

I know what you mean.

I was using the honey stove until I got this.
It’s some much quicker and easier to setup and take down, this weekend was much better when I had cold fingers.

dandan

Nov 23, 2007
South West France
H H
I got one of these 2.5 models through Kickstarter. It was available with all the bells and whistles as a special offer to launch this model.
I have used it at home to cook my grub.
Usually some salmon steaks , but also steaks. It takes little real charcoal to start up , and burns hot.
Claen up can be a pain , but with some scouring powder and those green cloths , it comes up pretty good.

No faults yet , and I got mine in a canvas bag , supplied.
Whenever its a quick meal needed , its not raining , I get it out , load it up , and its ready in 10 minutes.
You cant beat the smell of cooking food with charcoal in the evening.

Enjoy your purchase.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE