Fixing feathers tip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Just a quick tip for anyone who finds a feather worth keeping but thinks it might be a bit too damaged to be worth while saving. Hold the feather in the steam coming out of a kettle while you brew a cup of tea and most of the time it will snap right back into shape.

I just did this with a tail feather that had been a bit chewed but I've done the same with some very nice red kite primary feathers in the past.

Before:

P1160376.jpg

After:

P1160377.jpg

You can now preen the loose stands back into place by combing them lightly between your fingers and then tuck into your hat, dreamcatcher or however you decide to display them. Hopefully something better than just sticking them in a mug on your desk like I do :oops:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat idea :) I'll mind that.

See if you pop them into the microwave for 20 seconds or so too ? it'll kill off all the buggits that are inclined to be on the feathers. Makes it 'healthier' when dealing with urbanised children.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
H&S went nuts when I suggested using 'real' feathers with children to use as quills :sigh:
So, had to figure out how to sort it easily, and how to safely advise teachers if they were going to copy the idea too.

Had a huge great row with a German lady who insisted that, 'We do not have that in Germany!!", and then the argument went kind of nuclear when I pointed out that they most certainly did and that ecoli was endemic in sheep flocks too (we were working with fleece) and even Scouts weren't allowed to camp in fields where there had been sheep within three weeks.
It's not my place, nor hers, to challenge someone else's children's immune system, even if madam believed that germanic purity would overcome it.

Nowt so queer as folks :dunno:

I'm not being racist here; just a realist.

M

Reactions: Macaroon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE