First Xmas Advert spotted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
21:22 Tuesday September 4th on tv channel 5USA [UK]

Me and the wife also have a £10 bet on the first one of us to photograph a decorated tree in somebody's window this year... is it just us or do others groan in dismay at the early onset of the festive season?

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's messed up! You have Xmas starting at the end of summer. Easter early new year and back to school kit in supermarkets before the kids break up for the holidays! As a school shoe receipt said, check your shoes still for if bought in July. School clothes for a 6 year old bought in July might not fit in September.

You add in summer clothes appear in shops in spring even as the last snows recede. I've gone looking for something for a summer holiday and it's moved to winter clothes.

The it's like the consumer is being forced to buy a season ahead of themselves. Retailers are being unreasonable IMHO.

Still, it has a small advantage. I noticed Easter eggs this year were discounted before Easter arrived. All my easter eggs bought for my son, niece and nephew were all half price. Bought a few days before the Easter weekend. If only I could do that with Xmas presents.

BTW two weekends ago I noticed Debenham store we went in had their Xmas gift tat stands out and fully loaded. Not even September!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
No.
I spend my time looking forward to the things I enjoy rather than just impotently whining about things I don't like and then looking down condescendingly on people who do like them.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My missus buy presents throughout the year, she sees something she thinks someone will like she'll get it and put it in a box, things have been bought in January sales for the next December. That is far too organised for my liking, I've very much a last minute gift buyer - tricky as I live in a small village / town so have to pretty much rely on online gift buying. Although as a rule I'm not fussed about buying gifts really, just try to make to occasion memorable buy doing something fun and exciting.

The things my kids remember haven't been the toys and electronic stuff they've got but the places we've gone and stuff we've done, usually on an impulse - chuck it in the car and go type outings.

Reactions: Macaroon

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's one thing to look forward to Xmas or one of the other festivals but for the promotion of Xmas when there's still plenty of other festivals and events to enjoy before it.

Also, the way retailers often stock clothes for the season coming next with a reduction if stock for the current season is more than just annoying IMHO. They're nothing wrong with wanting seasons and events to be respected by promoting them when they're happening it about to happen.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The Range in Norwich, its Xmas, the shelves are full of combo dec’s etc, it will be Easter next week (2019)!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
B&M's had Christmas Crackers all set out today :roll:

I like the seasonal change, but I'd rather the shops kept them 'real', iimmc ?
We haven't even had Hallowe'en or Bonfire night yet.

I admit I buy presents and put them past, but I put off wrapping, etc., until the time.

M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Oh definitely wrapping has to be done around 1am Christmas morning :), apart from the things needing posting.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Xmas eve routine is wrapping pressies. Early on with pressies from the family with our 5 year old (will be 6 this year) helping make our wrapping worse. Then after he's in bed (thank you NORAD santa tracking app and website) at a reasonable time the last of his presents get wrapped and all the presents I've bought get wrapped. Well I've probably only bought the last one 5 minutes before the last shop closed for Xmas so it's no wonder I'm the last one to wrap up.

Sorry Xmas stuff before Halloween and bonfire night is wrong. Get the festivals / events in order at least.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Oh goodie goodie gumdrops. Coca Cola red hit time again. With all that pile of sh!£€ the magic ( for kids ) has now been totally drained out of Yule tide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE