First impressions: Wenger EvoWood S557 [Warning: Pic and waffle heavy!]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
I've been carrying a Leatherman Freestyle for the past year or two as my 'pocketable-EDC' and, whilst there's a lot to like about the Freestyle, it also has some serious shortcomings. The biggest shortcoming is probably the lack of tools –having to open beer bottles by prising up the edges of the lid with the pliers soon becomes tiring! Also, the blade on the Freestyle has a series of holes drilled into it. Presumably this is to save weight but I reckon the annoyance of constantly having to hoke bits of gunk out of these holes, after cutting food far outweighs any miniscule weight saving. And finally, in this idiotic age in which we live, the Freestyle, with its pointy, metal body and part serrated blade just looks a bit too 'aggressive' for me to be comfortable using it in public, lest some passerby decides to report a "knife-wielding maniac" on the loose!

So, I decided to treat myself to a new EDC pocketable tool. I wanted it to be comparable in size to the Freestyle, provide a decent tool-set and hopefully look as non-threatening as possible. Over the past two or three weeks, I've spent more hours than is good for me poring over various websites, reading endless reviews on a plethora of pocket multi-tools. Eventually, I narrowed my search down to one of two choices; go for one of the Leatherman Juice models, or some kind of Swiss Army Knife.

I've already got three Leathermans; a Core, a Surge and the aforementioned Freestyle, so I thought I'd try something different for a change. In the past, I've never been a big fan of SAKs –I grew up thinking of them as more of a pen-knife with a few pointless gadgets attached than a proper multi-tool. However, while trawling the web, I came across so many reviews from people raving about how they loved their Swiss Army Knives, that I decided to take another look ––especially when I found out that some SAK models now come with pliers. Pretty much essential for me, as the pliers tend to be one of the most used tools on any of my Leathermans.

I narrowed my search down to a couple of different models of SAK, but still couldn't quite get over the look of them. Compared to my Leathermans, those red plastic handles just seemed like something you'd find on a toy. Then, whilst browsing the Wenger site, I came across the EvoWood range; Swiss Army Knives, but with recycled walnut handles, instead of yukky red plastic. And the EvoWood S557 model had pliers!

The only thing that was putting me off still was the price; You could pick up a EvoGrip S557 [the plastic handled version] for £35 on amazon, the EvoWood was nearer £70. I hummed and hah'd about it for about a week and actually placed the order and then cancelled it twice, before I eventually thought "Oh, what the hell. You only live once!", bit the bullet and ordered myself an EvoWood S557 from an amazon seller in Germany [no UK sellers seem to stock it]

It arrived yesterday [just about one week for delivery], so here are my first impressions. As, I said above, I'm comparing it a fair bit to the Leatherman Freestyle, as that was what it was bought to replace:

Let the pic-fest begin!

Leatherman and Wenger, side-by-side. Both are just over 8cm long. The Wenger is a gnat's whisker shorter than the Leatherman. The Wenger is a lot wider, tho' –as you'd expect, since it has so many more tools

bladesclosed.jpg

bladesclosedtop.jpg

Blades open. Being used to the quite chunky steel used on the knife blades of Leatherman tools, I was a bit dismayed when I opened the Wenger to find out that its blade was only about half the thickness of that on the Leatherman [it's also about 1cm shorter]. On the plus side, the Wenger blade isn't drilled full of idiotic holes to collect skank every time you use it to cut food!

bladesopen.jpg

The Leatherman's blade is a lot sturdier looking. The Wenger's is about half the thickness but the steel feels quite springy, so hopefully thin does not equal flimsy

bladethickness.jpg

One of my criteria for choosing a new pocket-tool was that it had to have pliers of some sort. Everyone knows what Leatherman pliers are like. Rather than having the handles of the tool double as the handles of the pliers, the Wenger uses a more SAK approach, having the pliers fold out from inside the tool. The result is a pair of pliers which don't look a patch on the Leatherman ones. Nowhere near as sturdy looking and, as with the knife blades, a lot thinner

plierscompare.jpg

pliersthickness.jpg

The Wenger pliers do have one trick up their sleeve tho'. Thanks to having a 'slip-lock' they can actually open a lot wider than the Leatherman ones. Mind you, I'm not sure as I'd want to use them on anything hefty enough to require them opening wide enough to require the slip-lock. Incidentally, the other hole in the pliers is supposedly for cutting wire.

plierscloseup.jpg

Well, that's the like-for-like and tool-for-tool comparison done and, so far, the Leatherman is way out in front. But, as I mentioned at the beginning, knife and pliers is all the Leatherman's got. So let's see what else Wenger have managed to cram into a slightly shorter and about 1cm wider frame:

Scissors –Described as 'self-sharpening', the scissors have a very finely serrated edge to the blade. This didn't seem to make any difference when cutting paper or paracord but when trimming my fingernails, it did leave the edges feeling quite rough. Incidentally, both pliers and scissors use quite a sturdy lever-type spring [unlike the quite flimsy-looking ones on Victorinox SAKs]. As a consequence of the way this operates, both halves of the scissors/pliers move when you squeeze them closed, which is a bit weird at first. Although small, the scissors feel quite well-made –certainly better quality than the ones on my Leatherman Surge

scissors.jpg

Flathead screwdriver / Bottle-opener. The blade is 5mm wide and feels quite sturdy. All the screwdriver blades on the Wenger use a clever automatic lock, whereby the driver retracts slightly into the body of the tool, when you put pressure on it and thus locks into position, then releases again when you lift off the pressure. I'm not sure what the wee semi-circular cutout at the base of the screwdriver/bottle-opener is for?

flatheadscrewdriver.jpg

Phillips screwdriver. Not sure what size Phillips this is and I can't be arsed digging my toolbox out to compare, but it's a fairly useful small-medium size. About 4mm across at the widest point

phillipsscrewdriver.jpg

Can-opener. SAKs are famous for having really well-designed can-openers and the Wenger seems no exception. The can-opener blade is easily as thick and sturdy as the ones on my full-size Leatherman tools, but feels a lot better engineered. The cutting blade has a really sharp bevelled edge to it. Unlike other manufacturers, Wenger have forgone the opportunity to build a small flat-head screwdriver into either can-opener or bottle-opener

canopener.jpg

Spanner [sorry the pic's a bit out of focus!]. This is a strange one. The thickest tool on the Wenger [I'm sure it's a hairsbreadth thicker even than the pliers], the head is cut out in such a way that you use the tool one side up for tightening nuts and then flip it over and use it the other side up to undo them. I've had a hard time finding anything to try this on in anger, but it worked OK on some small nuts holding various bits of the frame of an old computer together. The problem I see with this tool is that it's right in the centre of the Wenger, and it's quite short, so I think that a lot of the time the handles would get in the way and stop you getting decent purchase on a nut, unless it was sitting proud by a couple of cm. And given the strange design of the spanner head, I reckon it would slip quite easily in these circumstances. I can't really pass judgement until I've tried the spanner properly but my instinct is that I'd have preferred it if Wenger had done away with this and used the extra space thus freed up to make the pliers a bit sturdier.

spanner.jpg

Nail-file. Not something I'd ever look for on a multi-tool. I'd much prefer a Leatherman style file. That said, I suspect that this file might be up to tackling more challenging materials than merely fingernails. Looking at the surface with a jeweller's loupe, I can see that it is very rough –it seems to consist of tiny flecks of gold and dark-grey 'gravel'. So I'm wondering whether it might be coated in diamond or ceramic of some kind. Strangely the Wenger website makes no mention of the nail-file having anything 'special' about it, so maybe I'm deluding myself here. If nothing else, the nail-file comes in handy when trimming your nails with the serrated scissors leaves them a bit rough!

nailfile.jpg

Corkscrew. The bottle of wine I treated myself to over the weekend had a screw-top, so the corkscrew has not had the chance to shine yet. It seems quite well made and solid compared to some I've seen on other gadgets.

corkscrew.jpg

Awl. This is a case of 'nearly' in my opinion. The awl is pointed but not sharpened into a point [if that makes sense]. Neither does it have an eye, which I always reckon is handy for emergency sewing repairs.

awl.jpg

I was quite surprised to see that Wenger have positioned the main knife blade on the EvoWood S557 on the right-hand side of the handle [as viewed from above]. To me this makes the knife seem set-up for left-handers [like myself] as, when holding the knife in your left hand, the blade is nearest the object you're cutting. Holding it right-handed would put most of the width of the handle between you and whatever you're cutting. This struck me as unusual, as I'm so used to almost everything in the world being designed with right-handed ergonomics.

wengerLHblade.jpg

The knife blade locks when opened and is released by pushing in a lever on the underside of the knife. It's quite a nice system and seems like it would be difficult to disengage the lock accidentally, but i wonder whether the lock lever might become an annoyance? It sticks up slightly above the rest of the body and looks like it might catch on things, especially if carried in the pocket. One nice design feature is that the knife blade has a click-stop at about 90 degres when closing it, which should help avoid closing it on the fingers, if you release the lock and fold a bit too energetically

lockcloseup.jpg

Conclusions:

Overall I think this is a very well made knife. I had read a few scare stories about Wenger quality being historically not on a par with Victorinox but, as they're both essentially the same company now, it seems that Wenger build quality has been brought up to scratch. Of course, I've only had the S557 a couple of days –it might fall apart in a month's time– but it *feels* like it's made to last. All the tools feel strongly sprung when opening and click into place with a nice solid click. It definitely feels more carefully crafted than any Leatherman I've owned.

Tool selection is pretty impressive for a multitool of this size. In an ideal world, I'd have preferred sturdier pliers [possibly at the expense of the spanner] an eye in the awl and a small flat-head screwdriver, but it's a pretty useful selection nonetheless.

Pricewise, I reckon the Wenger EvoWood S557 is way over-priced. As I said above, the only difference I can see between this and the equivalent EvoGrip model are the wooden handles and, thinking about it, it is pretty insane to pay about £30 more just for that. Having said that tho', there is something about the combination of the dark unvarnished wood and the highly polished steel of this tool that just oozes class. It just looks good against wood, rocks and in 'outdoorsy' settings.

closeup.jpg

shavings.jpg

Well, if anyone's bothered to read this far, I apologise for taking up so much of your time. I do tend to waffle a bit, when I get going!

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Fantastic review - this is what we want! Very in depth with relevant information, objective thoughts and great pics. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write it.

Cheers, Magentus

Reactions: Nice65

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Well, if anyone's bothered to read this far, I apologise for taking up so much of your time. ...

No need for apologies, that was a very useful review. I'm looking at SAKs (more or less continually:)) and I know now that it isn't the tool for me because it has a corkscrew!

I think you made he right decision over the Juice, I bought one for my wife a few years ago and it's been a bit of a disappointment. It had to go back under warranty fairly soon after I got it, broken springs.

Agreed that the awl is an important tool and agreed that Wenger could have done it better, but I guess you can sharpen it up yourself. I wouldn't recommend trying to drill a hole in it though!

That spanner does look a little odd, and agreed that heftier pliers might have been a better bet, but all these things are some sort of compromise. There's always going to be a point at which you put it back in your pocket and go fetch a 'real' tool. Do add to the thread when you've had some experience with the spanner.

As for the lock, it looks identical to the one on my wife's Wenger 'Picnic Lock'. I don't know if they do it any more. She's had it for about twenty years and it's still one of her favourites. As far as she's concerned the lock is one of its big plus points and it's never been a problem in use.

No tweezers then?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Nice review.
One small point (sic) though,
As the blade locks, it's not EDCable, unless you have a "Good Excuse" (which would stand up in court)

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
No tweezers then?

The [plastic handled version] EvoGrip S557 comes with tweezers and a toothpick. Its wooden handled cousin has neither. As I understand it, tweezers and toothpick usually slot into holes in the ends of the handles on SAKs, so I'm presuming Wenger thought that wooden handles wouldn't lend themselves to being machined precisely enough to hold tweezers and toothpick securely.

Fortunately the mini pliers are engineered accurately enough that the ends meet flush and allow them to be used to pluck beard or nasal hair. Don't ask me how I found that out. I'm having a hard enough time, typing with my eyes watering, as it is!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
nice review i have carried a SAK of some kind since about 5 oh and the
'm not sure what the wee semi-circular cutout at the base of the screwdriver/bottle-opener is for?

it looks to be a wire stripper

Reactions: Alreetmiowdmuka

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
One thing that occurs to me is that if you drop an 'old school' red handled SAK on the forest floor you would find it a lot easier than a naturally coloured one! That said, damn good review of a damn good knife. The locking blade option on a SAK is one of the most excellent and well engineered features they do.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
The corkscrew (vital to me) is a handy place to carry the fine screwdriver as supplied by SAK sellers. I've just replaced my locking Victorinox "Rucksack" with the Wenger E17 soft touch so as to be legal EDC. So far I'm delighted with it but share the reservations about the scissors- I've never had a knife with scisors before. Incidentally I'm now nearly back to the system I used years ago of a small SAK in the pocket and a fixed blade in the rucksack. I got the SAK rucksack with its large blade to replace the fixed blade to avoid awkward police questions when travelling. I wonder now whether I really need anything other than the SAK. I remeber this same internal debate when I was a Scout many years ago as there were two schools of thought in our troop as to whether a scout was best prepared with a sheath or SAK type knife. Then, we all carried knives all the time and never thought of them as anything other than tools.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Thanks for the review, it really was very good and you have just saved me some cash as I was looking at a wenger evowood too. I have a leatherman pocket knife at the moment which I EDC and I am concerned as to is legality so am looking for another option.

I want something with a flat screw driver, a philips a bottle opener and a really good knife. It seems that the wenger/SAKs are compromising in every aspect so they can have everything that they aren't really good at any other them. The only other option i can think of is a good edc knife and lose out of the other tools and functionality that i have grown accustomed to.

Any suggestions?

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
....Then, we all carried knives all the time and never thought of them as anything other than tools...

Same here. And we never seemed to get around to stabbing or threatening anyone with them either. Still, credit where it's due. Today's "punish everyone for the misdeeds of the few" knife laws have almost totally eradicated violent crime.

</weary sarcasm>

Reactions: Nice65

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I have a soft-touch Wenger SAK primarily for the scissors and the saw, which get a fair bit of use. The other blades are handy, but the main blade looks a bit thin for my liking.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Same here. And we never seemed to get around to stabbing or threatening anyone with them either. Still, credit where it's due. Today's "punish everyone for the misdeeds of the few" knife laws have almost totally eradicated violent crime.

</weary sarcasm>

Yep. Got my first little Sheffield steel penknife from my dad when I was about 8. We all had penknives.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Overall I think this is a very well made knife.

shavings.jpg

Well, if anyone's bothered to read this far, I apologise for taking up so much of your time. I do tend to waffle a bit, when I get going!

you are my first like so I thought that at least deserved some kind of recognition, so thanks for that & like for like, I thought I would return the compliment,
I read with interest your excellent review... I some how missed it first time around & thought it worthy of a bump,
I am already a fan of The Wenger EvoWood Swiss Army Knive & have one as my EDC, I'm in total agreement on the over price issue, so much so that mine is permanently tethered to my belt loop just above my pocket by a length of para (-noid) cord to prevent the heart ache if it were ever to become inadvertently lost, & for me also it was the walnut handles that sold it to me too... I bought mine to replace the one given to me by my father on my 8 birthday it was one of the red plastic jobbys, I also have the same opinion of the red plastic scales & never really appreciated it & never even Noticed when it was that I lost it, only one day I came to the realization that I no longer had it any more...

Mine is The Wenger EvoWood 17 which {as advertised} features 8 blades &13 functions....... the 13th function had always eluded me til now... its that bloody wee "whats it for" notch....

(the colour is a bit messed up in the pick, but mine is the same colour as yours & is not sissy pink honest)

the 17 doesn't have the lock, the spanner, the pliers or the star driver but does have the saw which I suppose works reasonably well for what it is, I use the scissors mainly for finger nails & for preparing bird eye chilies for cooking but not at the same time, never had an issue with the serrations.
Now that several years have passed I would be interested in an update on what you think of your wee knife now,
I assume you still have it?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I love my EDC SAK it's the Victorinox Ranger (so much so that I bought a spare, when the price was right, in case anything ever happened to it).
The only thing that could improve it for me would be custom scales.
The prices online seem to high for me but I think I might have a go at making some wooden scales for them.
Seeing your Wenger only reinforces the 'cheap' 'toylike' feel to them.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

</weary sarcasm>

Weary is a good definition for us that are knowledgeable, gentle people that open others biscuit packets for them and still get asked why we have a knife.

I'm lucky enough to live in the country and carry whatever knife I might have a use for. If I don't have a use or need, then I don't bother? Though I do usually, and at the moment, can live within my legal rights. Small minded city crap isn't bothering me too much, but I'd like to see some more sense being employed regarding tools and weapons.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Excellent and thorough review that, excellent pics too. My very first knife was a SAK, I bought it aged ten in Harlech in the Wales, high street camping/outdoors shop. It took me weeks of saving and I felt like Rambo when I stepped out of the shop . From that day forward I've always carried one, I can't say I've ever really noticed build quality differences between the Victorinox or Wenger knives. I love the classic red scales myself, it's just timeless and instantly recognisable. Makes me smile and takes me back to my boyhood slobbering over the more expensive models in the knife cabinet at Trapshot gunshop in Lye. That said those walnut scales are very handsome indeed. I do love my SAKs

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
This has reminded me that I need to try rescaling my SAK. I have some walnut scales so I think that will be this weeks project. Can anyone recommend a good epoxy that will stick wooden scales to a SAK body?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE