Day Out Firelighting at holyrood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
i had the opportunity to help the ranger team at holyrood park in Edinburgh again this year, theres a guided tour they do, meeting up with a druid, a hunter and a firelighter (me) from the iron age.. the ranger ties everything together about the history of the area..

Its a great chance to get to light a controlled fire, cut up wood and cook things in the middle of the park! I was to show firelighting and talk a bit about the transformative nature of fire..

There was a cloudburst mid afternoon, but it was mostly dry... the tour had a go at a bit of firelighting, and a q&a session with us all..

Theres another event next Saturday, this time its at the ranger station, so more cooking, and hopefully more participation opportunities! (See you there toddy! )

C4929DB1-08BA-4D6A-9D6A-1ACC0D5116FF.jpeg

Looking up towards the hill and the crags..

7BB63DF1-3BFB-4CB2-B4B2-454481D310D2.jpeg

Setting up and getting a fire going...

3634FFE7-0FEC-4286-A87A-13ECCB901E4C.jpeg

Casting pewter medallions...

41D9681C-0DF6-47FF-A295-4FAECBD16B10.jpeg

Me and the hill...

A1C0297E-4ECC-4C53-942A-0BA55C45996C.jpeg

Oatcakes on the go...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Those pewter medallions look great, did you carve the stone moulds?

Hello, yes, roughly with a small chisel, and finer detail with a dremel.. not very iron age
The guys at the ranger station have replicas of moulds found locally I believe, for horse tack

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like a good day :D I like your set up :D

I'm sort of packed for next weekend.....we could put out a call and arrange a kind of mini Meet up ?
Come and play with fire, fibres, dyes, etc., at the Holyrood Park Rangers Centre next Saturday. (15th) Kick off about 11, but we'll be there a little beforehand.

http://www.whatsoninedinburgh.co.uk/event/057422-archaeology-day/

Touch wood, but we haven't been rained off this event yet, and I've been doing it for years now. It's a laid back, come and blether, have a go and a wander with the Druid, kind of day :D

M

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Looks like a good day :D I like your set up :D

I'm sort of packed for next weekend.....we could put out a call and arrange a kind of mini Meet up ?
Come and play with fire, fibres, dyes, etc., at the Holyrood Park Rangers Centre next Saturday. (15th) Kick off about 11, but we'll be there a little beforehand.

http://www.whatsoninedinburgh.co.uk/event/057422-archaeology-day/

Touch wood, but we haven't been rained off this event yet, and I've been doing it for years now. It's a laid back, come and blether, have a go and a wander with the Druid, kind of day :D

M

That's a good idea, IIRC we had some cover last year if required... the rangers walk is very interesting!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
55D2E94E-29A6-46CD-8E49-26DC605055D1.jpeg
now unpacking from the holyrood event!
It turned out s decent day with some sunshine and no rain!
Lots of visitors, having a go at firelighting, great to see peoples reactions when they got a flame or tried some of the oatcakes we were making..
Made a lot of pewter medallions, as give-aways along with some wood spoons.
Mary and I had a good meet wth all the rangers and the other team volunteers.
Not too many pics as we werent meant to be waving phones around

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Great picture! Glad the weather was good. What recipe did you use for the oat cakes?

It was decent weather which we were glad to see!
The oatcakes were 1 cup coarse oatmeal, 1/2 cup wholemeal flour, a bit of salt,
rubbed together with some butter then a little water to make a dryish dough,
shape and cook on the gridle till done.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just found your post :D
It was a very good day :cool: and the weather gods were in a good mood too, which always helps when playing with fire :)
The company was excellent, and the oatcakes were so right :D

M

Reactions: JohnC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE