Fire Dragon Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 11, 2018
Taunton
Wondered if any members had used and /or reviewed 'Fire Dragon' solid or gell fuel from BCB in Cardiff? Lovely bio fuel created from UK grain sourced ethanol therefore is sustainable, clean and burns with high heat ......images.jpeg

Reactions: MattyWW

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've used it for pre heating paraffin stoves.

Did a good job but left a residue in the saucer.

Yep, this. I used it to light a Svea123 and it left gunk. I was given a couple of dozen of the little foil peel off tubs, and I’ve used them for barbecue and wood burner lighting, which they do really well.

The Svea is being primed with BBQ lighting gel in an old 50ml vape juice bottle. For the amounts I’m burning I’m not questioning the eco aspect. It was very cheap at 99p for a litre and should last for ages.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have used the fire dragon in tablet (army issue) form - they work great in the army issue folding stove (I tend to cut them in half to make best use of the heat), but for some reason were absolutely rubbish/unusable in the BCB Crusader mk2 stove - a raging inferno for about a minute, then it burnt itself out... I imagine the surface area of the receptacle for the gel in the stove is too big.

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
I have used the fire dragon in tablet (army issue) form - they work great in the army issue folding stove (I tend to cut them in half to make best use of the heat), but for some reason were absolutely rubbish/unusable in the BCB Crusader mk2 stove - a raging inferno for about a minute, then it burnt itself out... I imagine the surface area of the receptacle for the gel in the stove is too big.
I found the same thing. I cut up an old tin and formed it around the block to make a container slightly smaller than the BCB folding stove. First time I used it, the fuel liquified and leaked though the gaps, but now it's gummed up it's perfect.

Brought the burn time back up to that of the folding stove, although I wonder if I make it taller and reduce the available surface area if that would make it more efficient without sacrificing too much heat? It slides over the fuel block and you can still keep 3 blocks within the stove part.

I'd post an image but can't work out how to.

Reactions: StevieE

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It's readily available and does the job, works best with something like the crusader cooking system or the Swiss volcano stove.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I'm using La Hacienda liquid fuel at the moment,got 2 litres for 8 quid from B and Q. Seems to burn ok,I've not done any comparisons with Firedragon,so dont know if its any better or not.To be honest i can't be arsed,if it burns long enough for a bag of noodles and a brew,it works.

Reactions: kard133 and MattyWW

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I use the blocks and the gel in wee titanium cups, about the size of a small espresso cup. The residue is like semi hard wax and comes off no bother. A bit of soot like substance which again comes off in the wash. Handy to have in a brew kit or as a fire starter in we conditions.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I use the blocks and the gel in wee titanium cups, about the size of a small espresso cup. The residue is like semi hard wax and comes off no bother. A bit of soot like substance which again comes off in the wash. Handy to have in a brew kit or as a fire starter in we conditions.
I've ordered some gel and a bag of blocks and will try them out in my Trangia solid fuel holder to start with. :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have some of the little 7g dragon fuel pods for a fire starter.

Supposedly one will raise the temperature of a cup (250-300ml) of water something like 40°C. Not tried it though.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have some of the little 7g dragon fuel pods for a fire starter.

Supposedly one will raise the temperature of a cup (250-300ml) of water something like 40°C. Not tried it though.
Yeah, I’m glad I noticed that the ones in trays are only tiny, as I almost bought them (build in tray of the right size seemed handy and I had planned to save them and get some more later if I liked them).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE