Finding woodland and its owners?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I know the topic of gaining permission to use woodland for bushcraft has been covered many times but I have a few questions I can't find answers to.

I usually go to my local public woodland to practice my bushcraft but over the last few years it has become a lot more heavily used and finding secluded areas is becoming increasingly difficult for things such as fire lighting, using tools and the odd overnights.

My aim for the new year is to get out more and find somewhere I can get permission to use, probably leading with nature photography to get a foot in the door and going on from there, I would be happy to offer assistance with woodland management or even a small fee for using a small wood but am really struggling to find anyone to contact.

Is there any resource available that shows woodlands and who owns them that may help me track down possible contacts.
I am fully expecting lots of rejections or no answers but until I can start asking I'm in a pretty much no win situation.

I am sure there are some privately owned woods near me (Hersham, Surrey) but when I am out wandering there is no demarcation or signage to help me out.

Hope that makes sense and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Is there any resource available that shows woodlands and who owns them that may help me track down possible contacts.

You could try contacting the Small Woodland Owners Group ( www.swog.org.uk ) or/and the Small Woods Association (www.smallwoods.org.uk ) - I'm a member of both. I doubt if they will give you a list of members but they may be able to advise on how you could make contact or even advertise your needs.

Small woodland owners are very cautious about allowing 'strangers' into their woods for obvious reasons so you will need to build trust before they are likely to say you can camp, light fires etc. I would approach on the basis of wanting to volunteer to gain increased experience of woodland and habitat management at first. Don't assume that their plans are in line with 'advised management' either - letting in the light, as all small wood advisors start with, just fills the wood with brambles. What I'm saying is don't offer expert advise until you've listened to what the owner wants to do with their wood :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Broch

Reactions: Nomad64 and Toddy
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
You could try contacting the Small Woodland Owners Group ( www.swog.org.uk ) or/and the Small Woods Association (www.smallwoods.org.uk ) - I'm a member of both. I doubt if they will give you a list of members but they may be able to advise on how you could make contact or even advertise your needs.

Small woodland owners are very cautious about allowing 'strangers' into their woods for obvious reasons so you will need to build trust before they are likely to say you can camp, light fires etc. I would approach on the basis of wanting to volunteer to gain increased experience of woodland and habitat management at first. Don't assume that their plans are in line with 'advised management' either - letting in the light, as all small wood advisors start with, just fills the wood with brambles. What I'm saying is don't offer expert advise until you've listened to what the owner wants to do with their wood :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Broch

Thanks Broch, wasn’t aware of these organisations and will defiantly be taking the time to pen a couple of emails.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't know if you have the inclination and the experience HH but there's an article in the New Year edition of the Smallwoods magazine on Grey Squirrel management by Charlie Portlock (from The Mindful Hunter www.themindfullhunter.co.uk ) and it occurred to me that a good way to gain the trust of small woodland owners would be to offer help with controlling greys (I would suggest using air rifle). Eradication is impossible but controlling numbers is sensible.

There's also quite a cheap classified adds section in the magazine (free to members) where the service could be advertised.

Just a thought :)

Reactions: WealdenWoodsman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE