Feedback on cotton wool fire lighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 12, 2015
Jarrow
Hey guys,

I decided to make some fire lighters out of cotton wool, vaseline and candle wax. They burn great but I can't seem to get them alight with a ferro rod.

Any tips on how I can improve?

Pictures attached:

mYJQW6ol.jpg

qx6Au0wl.jpg

PKI4cqcl.jpg

Hoping to get some better ones made up soon :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You need to be lighting fuzzy wool, so if you made little wax bricks, you need to break them open to expose fibres. Not too much Vaseline needed either.

Mar 12, 2015
Jarrow
You need to be lighting fuzzy wool, so if you made little wax bricks, you need to break them open to expose fibres. Not too much Vaseline needed either.

Makes sense! I did break them apart a little bit but I think i've either made them too small or used too much wax. Thanks :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I make them to have a wax shell but plain inner. The shell keeps them dry but pulled open to fluff up the cotton wool, they easy take a spark. i.e. Don't soak the cotton wool 100%.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have done both cotton pad and cotton ball, I usually break the cotton ball into three before soaking in liquid vaseline, each one then goes into a small ziploc bag the pads go into a small round tin.I haven't bothered with the candle wax at all, I usually open up the cotton ball and make it as big as I can without breaking it apart, teasing out the threads, one good strike of the ferro rod lights it up.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Make them just how you have but a little more fibre dense in the middle. Push a match through the middle so that the head is just popping out of the other side and get that wax sealed too [big cooks matches are best].

You then have the option to use it like a waterproof match by striking it and it will burn for quite a long time... Or you can break it open and rip up the internal fibres and light from a rod.

I used to make them like that when I was younger.... I called them "Fire Flares" because I thought it sounded cool.... But now I realise it sounds pretty dorky. Lol

Still they are very handy.

Mar 12, 2015
Jarrow
Make them just how you have but a little more fibre dense in the middle. Push a match through the middle so that the head is just popping out of the other side and get that wax sealed too [big cooks matches are best].

You then have the option to use it like a waterproof match by striking it and it will burn for quite a long time... Or you can break it open and rip up the internal fibres and light from a rod.

I used to make them like that when I was younger.... I called them "Fire Flares" because I thought it sounded cool.... But now I realise it sounds pretty dorky. Lol

Still they are very handy.

That sounds like a great idea! May have to give that a try at some point. Fire flare's sound cool enough to me, haha!

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
Fire flares sounds brilliant to me. Might have to have a stab at making some

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE