Favourite Vegan and Vegetarian dish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My favourite Vegetarian dish: Panfried ( on butter/olive oil mix) Swiss cheese a la Schnitzel, with stamed potatoes, and a version of Tzatziki (no mint) and a pickled cucumber.

Vegan: Sofrito (a tomato + veg mix, Central American) mixed with Ackee ( a Caribbean fruit/veg that grows on trees). A fresh Scotch Bonnet is nice if cooked whole in the Sofrito for a few minutes.

What are your favourites?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's been my experience that sofrito isn't a dish on its own, but more of an ingredient for larger dishes (whether meat based dishes or not)

My favorite vegetarian dish would be a grilled cheese sandwich (you can even add the traditional tomato soup accompaniment and stay vegetarian)

A vegan dish is much more problematic though. I really can't think of any prepared vegan dishes I truly like (even my cooked vegetables contain bacon grease) I suppose just fresh fruit or nuts. Maybe a pie?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, traditionally (in Cuba and Honduras anyway) Sofrito is mixed with chunks of gently fried onions, chickpeas, Chorizo and their version of bacon, but we have iver a couple of years pared it down to bare necessities’ and created that tasty dish!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Gary Larson's "tofudebeest" is not on the menu. You need to find this.

I'll settle for a big dish of 4-cheese tortellini with a strong & homemade pesto.
Many grapes and yeastie-beasties were killed in the making of this repast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stir fry :)
I use a really good non stick saute pan. I have an electric cooker, I don't get the ring of heat from a gas one, I get a flat plate of hot from mine. So, a wide flat pan, a little good oil, or coconut butter, and then I stir fry chunks of marinated tofu and a good handful of cashew nuts. When they're all looking nicely roasted, I move them over to one side and then I quickly cook whatever veggies I have, from mushrooms and peppers to cabbage, carrots, radishes, celery. I like courgettes, but chunks of cucumber are very good, it's literally a what do I have ? kind of meal.
Mix the nuts and tofu through the veggies and push them over to the side, and then quickly cook some finely shredded ginger and crushed garlic in the smear of oil left in the middle of the pan. Stir through the veggies mixture. Season to suit yourself.
I admit I like gravy so I'll make some in a little pan beside the big one. To hot water I add smooth peanut butter, a bit of marmite, ground black pepper, a little tomato puree and a teaspoonful of marigold stock powder. I thicken it all up with potato starch.
Serve over basmati rice, quinoa or buckwheat noodles. Drizzle gravy over the top.

Dinner :D

M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
All I had in the fridge the other day was an onion, 3 large carrots and 3 leeks. All those stir fried with a stock cube and it was really tasty. After that I went to the shops :)

edit
//////
onion and leek finely chopped, carrots grated. Oh and I had some garlic also.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why not? What exactly is that dish?

It's good food :D
It's like a rosti made with left over potatoes to which we add fried cabbage or sprouts. If you eat meat, chop up and fry some bacon and stir that through it before you press it all into the rosti shape.
It used to be made with the leftovers from the Sunday roast beef dinner.....and if you didn't have beef you just made it with the veggies.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's good food :D
It's like a rosti made with left over potatoes to which we add fried cabbage or sprouts. If you eat meat, chop up and fry some bacon and stir that through it before you press it all into the rosti shape.
It used to be made with the leftovers from the Sunday roast beef dinner.....and if you didn't have beef you just made it with the veggies.

M
I used to frequent a restaurant in The Bull Hotel in Fairford that served the vegetarian B&S as a side with gammon and eggs on Sunday evenings. It was delicious!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sounds tasty!
Off Topic (my specialty) one British dish I find uneatable is Toad in the Hole.
Brrrrrrr...........

Every cuisine has stuff that is a very acquired taste!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pancakes are so nutritionally befreft that a serious dose of Vitamin B (Bacon) is normally required.
Finally concocted my own buckwheat pancake dry mix. Add milk & stir. Convenience food.
Plus, they freeze really well for a reheat in the toaster.
Birch syrup is a must ( growth industry in the central interior of BC.)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I like my pancakes and crepes sweet.
Honey, jam, sugar & Cinnamon.

Can a Vegan eat honey? Are we exploiting bees? Blowing smoke on them and stealing the honey so they get Post traumanic syndrome?

I guess in Canada you can soon get Medical Marihuana Honey?

Firger Manauka honey.

I have invested heavily in a couple of Canadian companies that grow legal ganja. So far excellent investment.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, Vegans don't eat honey; there are enough tree sap syrups available though that they're not missing it.

I make gluten free pancakes for Son2. I rarely eat cake or biscuits, I'd rather have fruit tbh, but those who have eaten them, gluten free eaters or not, say they're really good.
I tried making them without real egg (soya flour and water whipped up makes an 'egg' substitute, or flax flour) but they weren't so good. Then I tried that but added fresh plain yoghurt to the mix and that was enough to make them work well.
I did try with soya yoghurt and missed out the fake egg bit, but those really only worked well for crepes.
I'm sure it's do-able, just I haven't quite mastered the vegan pancake recipe yet.

Toad in the hole needs good sausages and well seasoned batter. It's really a kind of rich Yorkshire pudding around sausages, and it does need a fair bit of very hot fat or oil too.
Folks try too hard to make them healthy these days. They were originally food for folks who worked hard, and who managed the calories that way.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yorkshire puddings might be off the list for several ingredients.
My partner decided one night to make Yorkshires. The pan made a dozen.
So disgusting that we ate them all. Have not done that since!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have been to eateries where they serve a casserole in a bowl shaped bread.
Novelty thing I guess.

Once you decide you want to become a Vegan, it must be a hard time, learning what or not to eat.
Had no clue honey was off .

But it is refreshing mussels, clams and oysters are ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE