Fallkniven F1D cos re handle wip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
committed now! just ripped the handle off a brand new Fallkniven f1d in cos steel!
i did a fare bit of testing on the blade first to make sure its good before invalidating my 10 year warranty!
its an excellent small utility/bushcraft blade in an excellent steel and a good price but the handle is way too small for my large hands. so thought id do a re handle wip
i dont actually have any material for the handle yet but will post pics as i go

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looking forward to seeing the finished article as i have an F1 clone i was given that im thinking about rehandling

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Interesting. The non coated blades from them are nicely finished.
Maybe they did not do the finishing to get a key for the coating? Or saw a way to save a krona or two by telling the Japanese manufacturer not to worry about the finishing?

Reactions: Samon

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Was it easy to cut back the tang? I work with a Carborundum disk and a Dremel.
You gave me an idea to change the handle on one of my FK knives. (Not that I will use it.....)

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Was it easy to cut back the tang? I work with a Carborundum disk and a Dremel.
You gave me an idea to change the handle on one of my FK knives. (Not that I will use it.....)
no not long at all, took about 5 minutes on the linisher dunking in water each pass to keep cool

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Interesting. The non coated blades from them are nicely finished.
Maybe they did not do the finishing to get a key for the coating? Or saw a way to save a krona or two by telling the Japanese manufacturer not to worry about the finishing?
I would think a bit of both maybe someone knows better? I like the way the tang drops back from the spine a touch of curve in a handle is always nice.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Only the boys in Kiruna and the manufacturer down in Japan knows...

In my job, I need to have sometimes surfaces coated and in those cases they blast them with a special media to get a good 'key'.
Normally those surfaces are highly polished to silken matt, depending on my prescription.
The surface exposed by Mark looks 'unfinished'.

"s#rew the final step, it will be invisible under the coating anyway, and we save some money" kind of thing. Except said in Swedish!

Reactions: snappingturtle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE