Englishman gets huge cod in Saltstraumen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, the Skrei season is now!
Mamas this size seldom do not venture that close to the shore, they must have been fisking from a promotory.
Nice fish, but a lot of the weight is eggs. It is packed with them. In fact fish this length is not uncommon during the season.

The fantastic feat is to be able to bring in onshore. My hat is off to the fisherman, and I am bowing deeply!

( goddamn, I have to wait 3 more weeks!!)

Tor Helge, where do you live? Bodö?

Last edited:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Yes. I live in Bodø.
Sometimes Fish from shore in Saltstraumen but usually only get small Pollock.
IMO there are better Places than Saltstraumen to Fish from shore.
But if you are after the really big ones Saltstraumen is the Place.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Mamas this size seldom do not venture that close to the shore, they must have been fisking from a promotory.
Nice fish, but a lot of the weight is eggs. It is packed with them. In fact fish this length is not uncommon during the season.

The fantastic feat is to be able to bring in onshore. My hat is off to the fisherman, and I am bowing deeply!

Shame that, i suppose i could eat a bit of fresh cods roe, its not that bad. I was going to say it looked all head, guts and gills.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

Yes, record breaking or not it is a very ugly fish that looks uncannily like so many of the flaccid-bellied carp we see pulled from Day Ticket waters across the UK but stuffed with boilies rather than roe.

K

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As they say, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, )or something like that?)!

Tor Helge, keep your eyes peeled midday Eastern Sunday as I will wave to you from across the Vestfjorden!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The only time cod foght is when you hook them in the tail, back or stomach. Not fight as a salmon, they just want to swim away.
We get quite regularly 3-5 large cod on the line at the same time. Very, very heavy.
Last summer, wife got a Coalfish, about 12 kilo, and 2 cod about 15 kilo each, on the same line. I had to help her of course.

She cougt the 3 largest fish during our 3 week holiday with that .

Big cod hooked in the mouth is suprisingly light to take up. They kind of help by swimming in your direction after a while.
A small cod, say 5 kilos, hooked elsewhere on the body, feels very large and heavy.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE