Edinburgh, 27th September 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are a couple of members working an Archaeology day for Historic Scotland's countryside Rangers at Holyrood Park on the 27th. It's part of their Archaeology month series.
I'm supposed to be demo-ing 'primitive' firelighting techniques, and a bit about natural dyes, etc.,

If you're free and want to come by and play, then I should be set up in front of the Ranger's centre building.
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/events/event_detail.htm?eventid=26963

Time....10 until 3, though we usually overrun a bit.

The Rangers and the volunteers put on loads of hands on activities, there's a walk up the crags to meet interesting characters and I get to play with fire :) Only downside is I have to wear a skirt :rolleyes: as in Iron age style :eek:

It's a good way to spend a few hours though.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
As you say Mary it does sound like a good way to spend a couple of hours , Jen will be working but I can come along for a bit .

Craig. ....

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

I was there last year, a nice site and great fun, also a good chance to demonstrate skills..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was sweltering in the sun last year....and the firelighting effort too. Classic photie.....bright red from sunburn and from blowing on the hot coat to get the red to show :rolleyes:

That fomes burned for ages. It's a great way to carry fire :)

I was really glad you and your family turned up to play:D

I need to make a new linen blouse in time for the 27th...that one's truly dead :sigh:

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah well; maybe another time.
I was rather hoping you'd manage along; there's someone I think it could be profitable for you to meet (on his side too)

atb,
M

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I had totally forgotten about this so thanks for the bump , I mentioned it to my girls and got some rather strange looks in reply .
looks like I'll be coming along on my own for a bit .

Craig. ......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
T'was the weirdest day I have worked in a long time :)

I am sunburnt, talked hoarse, made fire a dozen times so I'm stinking of eau de campfire :rolleyes: and Edinburgh was awash with the 45'rs, and wee boys in their first kilts, and saltires everywhere, and music and bemused tourists :D and driving through the town was a bit of a right royal pain.

It was quiet on numbers, but the car parks and roads were closed off next to Holyrood, and there was another rally (recovering from addiction folks, more music, more speakers, etc., many doing a hike up the hills too) so that was to be expected. Not much the Rangers can do about things that are organised only a week or two in advance.
Two of the constabulary came to see what I was burning; I don't think they quite believed me that it was mugwort and legal, but I suspect they're away to google artemesia vulgaris :D

All in all, a good day though :) This long Summer has been beautiful :) and it was a lovely day in good company.

I have a car load of stuff to sort and re-organise, but I'll get to it.
I think I'm going to do a clear out and take stuff down to Whooplaw for Stuart's meet, and use it up.

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought you'd been unable to get near the place; I know I was glad we were on site early enough to still get through, though they did have to move the cones for us.

I couldn't get out to get to the ringroad and ended up having to go right through the town instead.

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One moment you're on dual carriageway and the next single lane with passing places on cobbles jouking round a corner :rolleyes: and you daren't stop or the tourists swarm the road looking at the buildings and no one gets by.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE