Eating bone marrow like a caveman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
He found a stripped predator kill in the snow and scavenged the bones. This is how our early ancestors found some of their food. In the winter, when it doesn't rot quickly, it can make a big difference in the bush sometimes.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a good video, bowdrill 101............He has a very clear presentational style and I'm going to check his stuff out.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Good vid!
Young people today might find eating none marrow disgusting, but it is really, really delicious!

It's actually quite popular in posh restaurants these days and served as a delicacy. Only in tiny posh restaurant portions though, served on a bed of something you've never heard of with a drizzle of jus on top probably.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have had it served rare on saffire ( correct name?) and asparagus, drizzled with reductions and sprinkled with various herbs.

Been in a degustation menu, as I would never order it myself ( do it at home)

Erzats Fois Gras, overhyped, over priced.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most paleo middens across the Great Plains of North America are many meters deep in crushed bison bones.
Postage stamp-sizes fragments. Tells me the value they placed on marrow.

I could do it tomorrow if I was home. What's first? Cook it a little?

Reactions: Spirit fish

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Cut the bones to pieces, maybe 5 cm long. Chill in fridge, poke out with an blunt implement not much smaller than the marrow.

My gallbladder can only take a small amount.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Fry it on a hot pan, in about 2 cm thick slices. Think scallops.
Has to be very hot and quick, or it will melt.

An easier way is to cut the bones on maybe 3 cm lengths, then place marrowside up/down on a pan, salt, pepper and bake in oven. 10 minutes or so?

It is very rich, almost pure fat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
A thought: how does he know the animal did not die from a disease, or the other animals that eat it did not have a disease?

That is what fire is for. On a scavenged kill I'd avoid doing a Bear Grylls stunt and cook it well. Sometimes the species barriers helps avoid infections. My biggest worry is parasites.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The guy did not cook it that well.....
Viruses are not that easy to kill, and toxins are there despite the increased temperature.

I wonder if he took the bones with him and ’planted ’ them.
( no hoof on leg bone, looks sawn off)
I would!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You bet your sweet prions.
Seconds for Chronic Wasting Disease, anyone?
Chewing a tablespoon of butter might be more fun.

The larvae in the cartilage of moose leg joints look particularly unappealing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lots of UK people into the BCUK ought to be reading up on these things.

Me, Janne, Mrostov, Santaman, Dave0 and a few others don't write this stuff for fun.
You want to be a forager, cleanliness becomes a blunt obstacle.

Reactions: Janne

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Often you can tell chronic wasting disease from the looks of the animal before you take it. However, on a stripped carcass that would not be the case. Some scientists now think that the species barrier can offer some protection from it. All in all, while some people have succumbed to it, it can be rather rare.

Myself, I'm actually more concerned with parasites and bacteria than prions.

A lot of it depends upon your area of operations. For example, there is an advantage enjoyed by the folks way up north in places like Ontario and British Columbia. Game lasts a while when you harvest it inside a refrigerator. The extreme cold also does a good job of killing off many parasites and a wide variety of insects in general.

Here in the coastal bend region of southern Texas, we are at about the same latitude as New Delhi, India, and southern Algeria. We have snow about one day every 12 years or so (we had snow one day this past December 2017 and our previous snow was one day in December 2005). Our winter is normally like an Ontario spring, maybe a bit warmer.

This semi-tropical environment much of the year does mean we have a staggering abundance of game (alligators, deer, ducks, wild hogs, javelina, etc). However, it also makes parasites in game and insects in general a special issue that does take some getting used to dealing with (oh yes, and the snakes). Also, when you harvest game, you want to get the body cavity as cool as possible as fast as possible. That is a lot easier to do in places like Ontario than here.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
When I used to hunt back in Sweden, this is what we used to do;
A quick 'medical' first, checking the outside of the carcass for sores and tumors, inside the mouth for a healthy looking oral cavity.
Check in the front and rear 'armpit' for swellings/ tumors.
When I opened the body cavity to take out the intestines, I always checked for overall health, then checked the liver, kidneys, stomach, thin and thick intestine. Tumors, sores, visible parasites.
I did also reject the animal if it was unusually thin and /or had no fat deposits in the body cavity, specially around the intestines and liver.

Wolfes and other carnivores take the animal that is the slowest in the pack, those can be slow due to old age or disease.
So it can be assumed the remains found after a predator had a meal could be from a sick animal.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE