Drooping Fir ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Does anyone know this tree, i think its got the the fireproof mature bark like a sequioa, but the drooping foleage is needles rather than fir. Quite tall and large, but if it is a n.america import, it may only be ababy?
31072016269.jpg31072016267.jpg31072016265.jpg31072016266.jpg31072016264.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are 6(?) species of conifers in the genus Pseudotsuga. Douglasfir, P. menziesii, is native to North America. The rest of them like P. sinensis, P. wilsoniana and others are Asian.
The really lacy drooping branch tips make me think _not_ P. menziesii. Agreed. Cones would be useful.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Damn it, forgot to look for cones. I did think of douglas fir as its so popular, but the foliage did not look dense enough, and also it was not like the other douglas firs i have seen. Looking at wikipedia the two N.American varieties are very different, i suppose it could be the rocky mountain variety.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Unless that particular tree was very sunlight stressed, not Douglasfir.
Only then could I say yes. One of thousands? Possibly.

There was one, the name I can't recall, in the forest arboretum near Duncan, BC, on Vancouver Island.
Long, flowing, wispy branch tips. It flowed in the wind. Maybe 1/2km west, up the Ho Chi Min trail, as it was called.

I've lived in the Rocky Mountains (still do) and on the Nechako plateau (Dougfir country) for more than 40 years.
Not the sort of thing that I have been accustomed to collecting for research every year.
In a past life, that was a collection from Mexico to Alaska, from sea-level to 10,000'.

Can you get back in there and find cones?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Go for it. Puzzles have solutions. I want to see several clear close-up px of the bark, as well.
Pick a bit off with your knife and show the less weathered bark layers. Please.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I'm pretty sure that's Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii ) .

I thought it looked like California Nutmeg or even Brewer's spruce
But the bark doesn't match.
I also thought it could also be Common Larch (larix decidua)? But the foliage doesn't look quite right either...

Difficult call and a cone would be most helpful in confirming ID.
But I'm betting on Douglas Fir...

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
IMG_20170819_090603.jpg

Went buy again and here are the cones, which are Douglas fir. The bark isn't as the usual. As said before there are two very diferent variants and this is the one with the wierd bark. You live and learn!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE