Desert Shirts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent
I wonder if anyone else on this forum likes Soldier 95 British Forces desert shirts like I do. They are one of my favourite general purpose garments, they are great for the outdoors and also as a general workshirt. I have several of them.

Here's why I like them:

• They are well made, high quality and very good value.
  • They are easy to find and cheap, there are many available on eBay and in surplus stores.
  • They are made of a comfortable fabric, it reminds me a bit of flannelette. The fabric is quick drying and well ventilated.
  • The shirts are easy to button up, with big chunky buttons held on with ribbon not thread.
  • The collar can be turned up and buttoned, it looks a bit bonkers but it keeps your neck warm in winter (or protected from the sun in summer).
  • The sleeves can be rolled up easily, converting from a long sleeve to a short sleeve and back again very easily.
  • They have two big front pockets, which button easily and securely. Ideal for keeping a mobile and glasses case in.
  • They can also be worn over a T-shirt to be used as a compact and very lightweight jacket.

The main disadvantage is that they only come in desert camo pattern (that's not a great big surprise, given their original purpose!). I am going to experiment with dyeing some of mine to disguise their military origins. It's a poly/cotton blend so it ought to take a dye well, I reckon two/three at a time in the washing machine with a pack of brown or olive green Dylon ought to do it.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I wonder if anyone else on this forum likes Soldier 95 British Forces desert shirts like I do. They are one of my favourite general purpose garments, they are great for the outdoors and also as a general workshirt. I have several of them.

Here's why I like them:

• They are well made, high quality and very good value.
  • They are easy to find and cheap, there are many available on eBay and in surplus stores.
  • They are made of a comfortable fabric, it reminds me a bit of flannelette. The fabric is quick drying and well ventilated.
  • The shirts are easy to button up, with big chunky buttons held on with ribbon not thread.
  • The collar can be turned up and buttoned, it looks a bit bonkers but it keeps your neck warm in winter (or protected from the sun in summer).
  • The sleeves can be rolled up easily, converting from a long sleeve to a short sleeve and back again very easily.
  • They have two big front pockets, which button easily and securely. Ideal for keeping a mobile and glasses case in.
  • They can also be worn over a T-shirt to be used as a compact and very lightweight jacket.

The main disadvantage is that they only come in desert camo pattern (that's not a great big surprise, given their original purpose!). I am going to experiment with dyeing some of mine to disguise their military origins. It's a poly/cotton blend so it ought to take a dye well, I reckon two/three at a time in the washing machine with a pack of brown or olive green Dylon ought to do it.

Be interested to know how you get on. I think both the 95 shirts are lovely shirts and I with they came in plain colours !

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent

Yes, these are exactly the shirts. £10 each looks quite pricey for used shirts. I'm sure I've seen them new at that price recently, or not much more. Note the sizing options, much more flexibility than civvie sizing as it uses both girth and length as variables.

I'm not going to attempt to dye them too dark, I don't want the buttons and polyester thread to contrast too violently with the fabric colour.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Yeah, I found them much cheaper on Military Mart I think, less than half the price of the ebay link above - I generally use Ebay just to see what stuff looks like, and then buy cheaper elsewhere.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Yes, these are exactly the shirts. £10 each looks quite pricey for used shirts. I'm sure I've seen them new at that price recently, or not much more. Note the sizing options, much more flexibility than civvie sizing as it uses both girth and length as variables.

I'm not going to attempt to dye them too dark, I don't want the buttons and polyester thread to contrast too violently with the fabric colour.

Did you ever get round to dyeing these shirts. If so, how did it turn out?

Quite interested in trying this myself.

Best Wishes,
David

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The old jungle kit was fantastic, we used to wear it back here in the summer when it was roasting, the colours were a bit brighter though.

The first pattern dessie kit was also good but wore through quickly, especially the trousers, whereas the shirts would wear through overtime wherever the osprey rubbed the fabric.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE