Dehydrated toothpaste

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tried dehydrating toothpaste? We were away at the weekend and a chap had some toothpaste tablets which looked really good, they are however really expensive so was wondering about trying to make my own.

Cheers
Ben

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used to get little flat tins of toothpaste, thinner than one of those little vaseline tins, that folks packed in toilet bags. Dampen your brush and rub up a lather and use that to brush your teeth. Tasted vaguely aniseedy from what I mind…..and it's a very long time ago.
Haven't seen anything like it in decades !

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The stuff I remember was called Gibb's Dentifrice.
There are masses of recipes available online for making these things.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lyon Tooth Powder. Pale green tin. I can still remember that as a kid.
Teaspoonful in the palm of my hand. Wet the brush and dip into it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ultralighters often squeeze just enough toothpaste into cling film to last them the trip.

I just use the lil travel tubes

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I refill a small tube from a large one. It is easily with practice.

My mother used to put on one side nearly empty tubes to use on her treks. Likewise almost used-up bars of soap.

Ah, Gibbs dentifrice. I can still remember the taste from 60 or so years ago. I used to buy it especially because it was light to pack. Strange that one has a memory for taste: must have some atavistic survival purpose.
P

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You can still get Eucryl 'fresh-mint' toothpowder though not seen the pink original variety for some time.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Lush do what I suppose are 'toothpaste tablets' - pop one in your mouth with a bit of water and start brushing. I've not tried them personally but I believe they do the job pretty well and don't taste disgusting; they're certainly a viable alternative for the ultralighters or those anxious about airport security.

jaffcat

Nomad
Sep 26, 2012
Hertford
Bishop, i brought a tin of the regular link stuff from home bargains or BM.... One of the cheap shops, that was just a few weeks ago.... Recall it said.not for regular use tho.... All packed up as moving house this weekend or I'd take a look

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE