Dartmoor knife survival kit contents, help wanted.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn

Jun 10, 2017
Bristol
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but it's knife related and I figured most Dartmoor/CSK owners would be familiar with this forum :)

I am trying to built a new and complete Dartmoor knife survival kit using the exact same contents as the original kit.
I don't want to pay Dartmoorknife.co.uk £30 for a kit as that seems just too expensive to me.

I already have the 'RAF type' Flint and steel.
I have the 'number 10' scalpel blades.
I have bought 'flat bobbins' but have changed the original card bobbin for white plastic ones as that makes more sense for an item that would get wet.
I have the correct snare wire, and know the correct length supplied in the kit.
I have the tube complete with compass.
I have the correct fishing line.

I have two needles of the correct sewing type, but don't know if they are the same length etc as what was supplied in the original kit, if anyone has the correct items, or a link to the correct items that would be really useful to me.

What I have no real idea on are the hooks and weights supplied with the original. If anyone can point me to the exact sizes and weights of these that would be very much appreciated. I have weights and swivels from Mod and aircrew survival kits but these are a mix of sizes and some are silver while some are black/bronze coloured.

With the kit I already have I could make up one or more kits for a few quid if I can get the details of the needles and fishing kit, so can store a kit in a display knife and perhaps have a spare kit to show as a display.

Barn

Jun 10, 2017
Bristol
To add to the above.
If anyone has a kit, or just the bits I'm missing that they would sell as a reasonable price that would also be useful.
I'd also be interested in an original pommel nut with the fold out winding handle.
At the moment I only have one of the slotted ones from Dartmoorknife.co.uk and one that Andy Wood made.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I can photograph the contents later if you like. The lead weights are about 1cm round, two of them if I remember, they're cupped with the rubber top and bottom of the tube. Looking at the little booklet that came with mine, later version, there's no mention of the contents. I'll get back to you later.

Barn

Jun 10, 2017
Bristol
I can photograph the contents later if you like. The lead weights are about 1cm round, two of them if I remember, they're cupped with the rubber top and bottom of the tube. Looking at the little booklet that came with mine, later version, there's no mention of the contents. I'll get back to you later.

That would be really helpful.
If you could also measure the length of the swivels that would be great.

Barn

Jun 10, 2017
Bristol
What use has the scalpel blade?

Lots of kits had scalpel blades in around the time the Dartmoor/CSK were made.
I have never had Dartmoor instructions so don't know if they mention why a scalpel blade was included, but the number 10 blade is a very good blade for first aid or prepping small meat. The fact it would be sterile until used would also be a bonus.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Again no mention in the Dartmoor booklet but I think the idea was to give you a secondary blade. Not necessarily a great one but could be sold as including a secondary blade.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A blade no 10 is a less than ideal blade, a no 22 is much better.
Slightly larger, easier to use without a holder.

I hope nobody think you can use one on yourself ( or another person)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hmm slightly embarrassed and perplexed. Opened handle on knife and kit is not there! Had a look in the most likely of places and no joy. I may have put it in another kit. When I find it I'll post pics and measurements. Apologies.

Reactions: Barn

Barn

Jun 10, 2017
Bristol
A blade no 10 is a less than ideal blade, a no 22 is much better.
Slightly larger, easier to use without a holder.

I hope nobody think you can use one on yourself ( or another person)

The obvious flaw with the 22 is that it won't fit in the knife handle ;)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Aha, very narrow.
Blade no 11 is easier to cut small deep incidions with, no 12 small and shallow, plus foing undercuts.

The no 10 blade cuts well with the ’belly’, long cuts, but is no so good doing small cuts.

No spsce for a handle?

Barn

Jun 10, 2017
Bristol
Janne.

This shows the tube in comparison to the hollow tang and handle.
Aha, very narrow.
Blade no 11 is easier to cut small deep incidions with, no 12 small and shallow, plus foing undercuts.

The no 10 blade cuts well with the ’belly’, long cuts, but is no so good doing small cuts.

No spsce for a handle?

For clarity.
I'm trying to get the original kit contents back together as per the initial post :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have small question.
I thought UK was small with no where far from people? Anyone ever needed to use fish hook & line? or lost for many days in your country? What is a scalpel for? Is it for cutting meat? Why not use the knife for that?

I'll be the smart bottom in the room.... :rolleyes:

There's this invention called the airplane, one exchanges money for passage aboard and they'll take you to far off places where you might need such a tool.

There again, one could just stay at home on the computer and belittle peoples posts.

That's far to much for me I'm off to pack for a weekend in the woods....

I'll be the smart bottom in the room.... :rolleyes:

There's this invention called the airplane, one exchanges money for passage aboard and they'll take you to far off places where you might need such a tool.

There again, one could just stay at home on the computer and belittle peoples posts.

That's far to much for me I'm off to pack for a weekend in the woods....

I was asking a question Martin, because I wondered what he might need such equipment for in UK. I'm sorry if you felt I was trying to upset him - was just askin questions and not making assumptions about him travel to other countries. It might also please you to know we have such things called airplanes up here too. Most of the folk up here have travelled in them more than in pickups or trucks because we have few roads and those of us who work outside spend a lot of time in the bush for hunting, fishing and trapping.

Barn

Jun 10, 2017
Bristol
I was asking a question Martin, because I wondered what he might need such equipment for in UK. I'm sorry if you felt I was trying to upset him - was just askin questions and not making assumptions about him travel to other countries. It might also please you to know we have such things called airplanes up here too. Most of the folk up here have travelled in them more than in pickups or trucks because we have few roads and those of us who work outside spend a lot of time in the bush for hunting, fishing and trapping.

Your question had already been answered in the first post in the thread. :)
I guess that's the issue with the internet, you post up a thread saying you want to make an original kit for 'display' then posters suggest non original parts or ask where you might use the parts :)

As per the first post, I am trying to build a kit with original items to display them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE