Dandelion Latex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Came across several recent science articles for dandelion latex most notably Continental's "Taraxagum" project to make car tyres from the sticky sap of this common weed. Obviously that's an industrial scale operation but It got me thinking. Is there anything in the literature for primitive or medieval applications of this home grown rubber?

According to this short piece from Suzanne Elvidge BSc (hons), ordinary vinegar should kick-start the curing process but it is apparently slow taking almost a month to dry. link

Reactions: Toddy

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
And with the stem you can make a kind of whistle. If you are lucky to find a stem with a large internal diameter, you can use it to blow chewed up, sticky pieces of paper in the classroom.
The best bit is when the teacher sees a badly aimed piece you just chew and swallow the very bitter stem.

I think this rubber making idea is just one of those “ look how environment friendly and loving we are ( while we are making a shedload of money making tyres from synthetic rubber that lasts only half of proper rubber) “

Can you guys imagine the acreage needed ? Acreage that can be used to make food?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The Russians did it in the war when they were cut off from usual supplies.

But they used a particular type of dandelion.

You can use these plants for all sorts of things, including marmalade

Reactions: Insel Affen

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Russians did it in the war when they were cut off from usual supplies.

But they used a particular type of dandelion.

You can use these plants for all sorts of things, including marmalade
The Soviets were the largest producers of synthetic rubber even before the war.
Butadiene was discovered by a Russian well before WW1.
I see no need for dandelion sap rubber need.
Butadiene is synthetised from alcohol. Russia are great alcohol producers (and consumers!)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I tried it years ago (in my "Survival Training" days) - havested loads of the white "Sap" and set it with fresh urine...
Ended up "waterproofing" about 6" square of canvas with a sticky, foul smelling gloop.
I have not tried it since...

So much opportunity to take the micky....:coffee2:

On another note, I do like the idea of there being alternative sources of materials, there's so many untapped materials out there in the world waiting to be discovered. We need more experimentation like this and to be honest, more people like you John that give things a try and come up with your own experiences. I suppose the problem is often that as soon as something is discovered it's monopolised and industrialised and that can be very destructive.

It would be so cool if we could make our own latex on a scale that was useful... Umm, gives me an idea for another thread...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE