Cycle trip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Hi Guys, don't know if this is the right place to post this, apologies if I'm wrong. I am looking to do a two week cycle wild camping /bushcraft trip from Norway to Calais next June. Very rough itinerary is to box up the bikes and fly to Oslo then cycle through Copenhagen ,Denmark, Hamberg onto Calais, then ferry back to UK. Depending on route choice approximately 1200 miles in two weeks, about 70 miles a day. anyone really up for it I would be delighted to go into detail as the trip belongs to all that want to go. Cost is Flight and ferries and train from Dover to your home. Wild camping so minimum cost there and as much food for free as possible.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Sounds great, I'd love to have the time but next year is definitely out. Looking forward to seeing the planning and hearing the stories though.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I love the idea of this, maybe one day Mark :D

Anyone else that's considering this will have a brill time, Mark's a star and def knows what it's like to spend time in the saddle, this will be a proper adventure...

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Cheers guys, training starts after Xmas I am hoping to do the trip on a Planet X Kaffenback.
The set up I am hoping to use is a mix of Ortlieb city rear panniers and dry bag for tent, I have found Vango banshee 2 a really good lightweight and easy to erect tent, or maybe a hammock, don't know yet. Front bar bag and shimano dynamo hub to charge the power pack.
I will try and post some pics, but it would be easier to do the trip with one pedal!! he he!!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
What are you using for the bar bag? I've got panniers on my Trek Portland but recently fitted a 'flightdeck' setup to my mountain bike using Alpkits range. really impressed with it. I was out the other day on a DofE exped and used the bike to get around the New Forest, had my kit on the handlebars and had to pick up a tent from one of the students, was versatile enough to strap it on. Bit of a pita to fit initially though.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ferry from Oslo to Sweden?
Why? Some lovely nature if you use the roads, specially the smaller ones you will take.

The main road between Oslo and Goteborg is the E 6. Off limits for pedal bikes, but there are several very scenic roads leading south.

Do not miss the islands Orust and Tjorn.

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Cheers Janne, I will have a look at the maps to familiarise myself with your recommendations. Would these places be on route through Telemark? Do you know if cyclists can use the bridge over to Denmark from Norway? Up to now I am only really looking at google maps for the bigger picture so apologies if I'm coming across a bit vacant.
thanx again

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Excuse me for saying so, but you need to study a map more and get the general placing of the countries in that part of Europe.

The Telemark area is not en route to anything except western Norway and there is no bridge between Norway and Denmark.

I do not think you can take a bike on the bridge between Sweden and Denmark, you need to take the train.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Hi Guys, don't know if this is the right place to post this, apologies if I'm wrong. I am looking to do a two week cycle wild camping /bushcraft trip from Norway to Calais next June. Very rough itinerary is to box up the bikes and fly to Oslo then cycle through Copenhagen ,Denmark, Hamberg onto Calais, then ferry back to UK. Depending on route choice approximately 1200 miles in two weeks, about 70 miles a day. anyone really up for it I would be delighted to go into detail as the trip belongs to all that want to go. Cost is Flight and ferries and train from Dover to your home. Wild camping so minimum cost there and as much food for free as possible.

Just to help you, with your planning:
You can not really average 70 miles a day, not if you consider the time it takes taking the ferries, searching for a suitable camping site, and maybe sightseeing.

Camping in the wild is perfect in Sweden and Norway. More difficult in Denmark. Night on impossible in Germany and Holland if you want to stay on the legal side of life. France - no idea.

Food for free in June? That would be roadkill. Nothing else can be eaten in Nature.
(Of course you can dumpster dive behind supermarkets...)

You can use the young tips from conifers and the young leaves from Birch to make tea. That is about the only thing that is palatable that time of the year.

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
At the moment the route is just a general southerly direction back to Calais as whoever comes gets a say on the route, however two of us were thinking of having a look at Rjukan in Telemark due to the history, is it worth a look?
Cheers for the info on the bridge/tunnel from Norway to Denmark, after looking into it there is a train or bus option but it is not an option to cycle across
What are the rules with fishing in Norway? I was hoping to be finished cycling by about 17.00 each day and have a chill out fishing and a spot of campcraft, just looking at google maps the altitude appears to be very kind and 70 would appear to be fairly achievable?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Ok.
You land north of Oslo. Rjukan is due west. Not much to see to be frank. Waste of time.
Also it will take you waay of course. You need to get back to Oslo, then cycle south east, on eastern shore of the Oslo Fjord down to the Swedish West coast. Lots of stuff to see there, all the way to the bridge between Sweden and Denmark. Train across. Cycle south through the Danish island Copenhagen is on, down to Rødby. Ferry to Puttgarten. Then Hamburg, Holland. Into France and Calais.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
There is a ferry between Norway and Denmark, but then you miss out on Sweden. I would not do that. Why not?
Best nature camping in Sweden of your trip, be it coast or forests. The islands and villages on that coast are worth visiting. Göteborg is nice.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To be frank, i would rather recommend you fly further north in Scandinavia, then cycle down to Malmö or even Copenhagen then fly home.
Denmark, northern Germany , Holland and the last French bit are fairly heavily populated. Heavy traffic. Not much forests.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE