Condoms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Anybody carry condoms with them?

I always do. I find them very useful. Carry water, protect a cut finger. Store emergency fatwood and tinder ( cotton wool) and keep emergency matches dry.
When I used to hunt I used to cover the muzzle with one to prevent dirt, water or snow getting in. You just shoot through it.
The "proper" muzzle covers had to be flicked open or completely removed, which I never liked,.

When I did longer treks in the nature, I used them to pack smaller clothes items in, type socks, bandana, wollen beanie. Did two things then, it protected against humidity and compressed the item into smaller size.
I also put snack/food like peanuts, other nuts, salt and spices in a condom.

Today we know that plastic stays intact forever in nature. Latex gets destroyed fairly quickly.
So in hindsight I did not mess up nature as badly as I would have with plastic bags!

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Probably worth mentioning that not all johnnies are equal. For food/water use stick to brands like Glyde that are natural latex with non-toxic chemicals.

I tend to stick to zip lock bags or the biodegradable food waste bags you get free from the council.

Reactions: Janne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use finger cots instead.
Much cheaper :) Really good on top of plasters, or for keeping small stuff like matches dry. Not for carrying water or storing socks though. I have platypus and dry bags for those.
They're also awfully useful if you're gathering / working with resin and don't want you hands stuck together or to become flytraps for debris.

Like these, I mean.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-Na...825424?hash=item25d0bcd210:g:s8oAAOSwdSRaEkCF

Reactions: Nice65

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ?

I do use them. They're brilliant for painting, glueing, and dyeing. Also good for sore fingertips.
The girls who do manicures use them to keep their own fingernails looking good.

Ohhhhh, :rolleyes:
Sorry, being oblivious here, but in my defence, Janne didn't once mention anything but 'alternative' uses either :D

M

Reactions: JohnC and Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ohhhhh, :rolleyes:
Sorry, being oblivious here, but in my defence, Janne didn't once mention anything but 'alternative' uses either :D
M

He surely didn't, but his title was designed as bait. He knows it, we know it, he's just a mischievous fella. Still, had me spitting my lime squash, so I thank you again.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, no bait. Very Victorian to think so! What should I write as a headline? ‘ Latex pouches’?

I just wanted to give you guys some useful ideas.

The first time I learned of an ‘alternative’ use was the first outdoor exercise in officers college. Of course we young boys (19) sniggered when the old (35?) sergeant handed them out, but realized the use of them whrn he explained what can happen if you fire off the gun with a blocked barrell.

I have also tried using latex gloves ( much, much cheaper) but they are made from thicker latex and do not work well.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For me, part of the joys / having fun in the great outdoors is not only to minimize equipment, but use standard or everyday stuff for more than what they were intended for.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I genuinely know someone who found out about her husband's extra marital activities when she found some in a pocket of a pair of trousers she emptied to put into the dry cleaners.

They're divorced now.

Waterbombs :D

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
What I/we found out all those decades ago when instructed how to protect the muzzle was the incredible strength in that material.

Latex gloves do not have the same material formulation, and are much weaker.
The Nitrile gloves (which I use on every patient as I am allergic to Latex) are much, much weaker, and I assume the non-latex condoms are the same.

To protect the emergency stuff ( matches, tinder, whatever) you just stretch it out and do a knot.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Serious question on a thread that must be taxing the mods. So tempting to step over the line.

It's a long time since I've needed to buy condoms for their primary purpose and there seems to be a much wider range than in my youth. I'd be grateful if some of you younger chaps could advise on what brand to buy for bushcraft purposes. Obviously one needs to buy non-lubricated and the larger and thicker the better. A brand name and source of supply would be useful.

Less serious comment for what it's worth.
The vicar was surprised to see an opened packet of condoms on the hall table when he was visiting two elderly spinster sisters in his parish and could not contain his curiosity.
"Oh, they were left by our soldier nephew when he was here on leave," said the elder sister. "He told us every soldier carries them and they have several uses, but he says be uses them to avoid infections."
"They are very effective," said the younger sister, "Since he left them neither my sister nor I have had even a slight cold."

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Seriously:
The brand is of no importance, different brands in Scandinavia and UK, but I used to buy ribbed, XL sized ones.
The ribbing gives more strength, and the XL size is easier to use. For water and storage.

Of course the unused ones stayed in my pack as I did not want to give false expectations and subseqvent disappointments!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Back in the day when I bulk purchased in the hundreds (only joking!) I too found they were far easier to deploy and of course stronger than clingfilm wrapped over a rifle barrel as rain/snow protection.

K

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I remembered just now: the brand I used to buy in Sweden is called Durex, same as you can get in UK.

Carry in a sock? Superb idea. I used to carry it in a balaclava.

A balaclava was and is an essential piece of equipment in the Swedish forests, prevents mozzies and midgets bite your face, and you do not inhale any of them.

Get a nice one made from pure silk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE