Compact Fishing tackle kit, collective help required.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all.

I am looking for a small kit that I can throw on my pack when heading out.

I am after something around say 4" by 7" say, preferably molle, clam shell but it needs to be able to take a variety of lures, weights, floats and hooks. There are lots of soft options out there but that would make a mess once I stuffed a few lures in there.

So is there something out there? Tackle would be a couple lures, ledger and float stuff.

Thanks in advance as always.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Keep the sharp tipped stuff in a plastic box type Plano.

Personally I prefer boxes designed to held one or maximum two lures in each compartment, as I truly hate tangled hooks.

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Whilst I have the collective BCUK fishing experts, soft lures? Only ever used the hard type or spinners but fancy giving them a shot. Anyone have any UK links where i can grab some to try?

Thanks.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am a hardcore Rapala fan myself. Prefer the wooden ones.
For metal lures I like the plain coloured ones, like silver, or copper.

Sometimes I think the designers add coloures, rainbow stuff etc because they like the look themselves.

Lures should look like the prey.

When I plan to eat what I catch, in freshwater, worms are the best.

Imo.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Canada has lots of big pike = Esox lucius. Big lures catch big fish. T55 Flatfish in Red & White is #1, Leopard Frog colors is #2.
Most fun without any doubt whatsoever is top water fishing for pike with lures which look like baby ducks.
Big treble hooks for feet, covered with bright yellow shredded plastic skirts. You can see the Vee-shape surface wake as the pike comes looking.

Everything else, I'd fish with some sort of an artificial fly. Here, #4 3X long down to a #12 is the useful range.

You're really lucky if you can use bait of any kind, like worms or grasshoppers. Tinned anchovy fillets stay on hooks the longest.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am a hardcore Rapala fan myself. Prefer the wooden ones.
For metal lures I like the plain coloured ones, like silver, or copper.

Sometimes I think the designers add coloures, rainbow stuff etc because they like the look themselves.

Lures should look like the prey.

When I plan to eat what I catch, in freshwater, worms are the best.

Imo.
From what I remember, maggots were the preferred freshwater live bait back when I was in England.

Reactions: Robson Valley

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cheers gents just what I was after.
Ordered a bunch of stuff and will see how it all fits together when int thand. I aim to cut everything down to a small 17x10x4 type pouch - minus the rod of-course :).

The idea is to have one for Sea and one for Fresh water. (ignoring the fly kit which is more art than fishin!(
The other idea is to scale back on tackle for each and buy/replace only when needed. Rather than rummaging through my Salt water tackle only to find two of everything except the thing i efin need! Same goes for the fresh water. That and most tackle is there to catch fisherman rather than fish.

Maybe we should all post a picture of our lightweight pack fishing setup as Huntersforge above has?

Ah gwan lets see your pack setup!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE